Computer help (standby mode)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lloyd Christmas, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Normally I would not use standby mode but I thought I'd try it because of some problems I have had booting my computer recently. I am using windows 98.

For about a week our computer took several tries to boot up after it had been off all night. Finally we took it in to a repair shop and they claimed to have fixed it and charged us over $130 (they also refused to tell us what the problem was). Upon getting the computer back we quickly realized that it had not been fixed so we took it back to them. They kept the computer for about a week until we called them. At this point they said that they could not fix it unless we bought a new motherboard from them. They suggested that we turn the switch on the power supply off each night after performing a windows shutdown. This way, the computer would completely power down and subsequently would power up properly the next morning. This has not worked. As it stands we have paid $130, gone a week without our computer, and it is in the exact same condition as when we first brought it in. I am very frustrated with this shop and would like to demand my money back. However, I would be willing to save myself the hassle if I could just get the computer working reasonably well.

This is where the standby issue comes in. I thought if shutting it down completely makes it difficult to start up in the morning perhaps I could just put it in standby mode overnight to save power. I have the loadpowerprofile entries checked in msconfig but everytime I put it in standby mode it gets stuck there and I have to reboot. It is not worth buying a new motherboard for this "old" computer (almost 3 years). Can anyone help me remedy this problem?

I know that was a little long but I felt it was necessary to explain the background to this problem. I suppose as a backup plan I could just leave the computer on all the time as I have been told that once it boots up I shouldn't have no immediate problems. However, this will cost more in power and I'm sure will also wear the computer down faster.
  2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    go to the shop, steal $150 (+$20 for taking so long). then take it home, and reformat?
  3. when you compleatly power down does the clock keep time?
  4. yes
  5. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
    If you can get it to start up again, there is a program called bootvis that you can download off of kazaa or whatever, and it could probably help you out.
  6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    so wait, is the power turning on then? or just does it freeze when you boot up or something?
  7. What usually happens is when I attempt to boot the computer the LED's on the front of the computer turn on and the fans start, but the computer does not boot. I then flick the switch on the power supply and try again. Eventually the computer boots up normally which usually takes 2-4 tries. The first time we brought the computer in they fixed the power supply which did seem to help at first, but only for 2 days. The second time they said that there was a "discharge" problem, apparently meaning that the computer was not powering down completely. They said that a new motherboard would be the only way of completely fixing the problem, but they suggested that I just turn off the power supply after shutting down instead.
  8. Sounds like they have no clue what it is and just told you that so they could sell you a new board.
    My normal procedure would be to test each component individually and clean the contacts on the memory with denature alcohol, as well as all the contacts on any add on cards. Try unplugging the hard drives and CD roms and boot it and see what happens