Computer Help!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lloyd Christmas, Jun 3, 2004.

1. :help: Hi, I've recently started to have a problem with my computer that really worries me. In order to save energy we always turn off our computer at night. However, in the last few days I've been having trouble getting it turned on again. When I turn it on in the morning, the load light comes on and the fan starts, but the computer will not boot. When this happens, pressing the reset button does nothing so I have to flick the switch on the back of my computer then switch it back on and try to boot my computer again. Eventually it does boot, and from that point on it works normally, I am worried though that this problem will continue to get worse. A few days ago the computer booted on the second try, this morning it took 4 tries.

Does anybody out there have any ideas as to what the problem might be, and how I might fix it?
  2. odie

odie Supporting Member

I have ran into this problem from time to time. What kind of wother board is it? I solved this after replacing the power supply.
  3. addy

May 18, 2004
    With the computer being fully assembled, a riser could be possibly be causing a short (a riser is what holds down your motherboard).

Have you opened up the case, and checked whether all the components are securely in place, along with the riser screws ?

hope this helps a bit.
  4. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I had this happen with one of my old computers... The way I fixed it was to kick or smack the computer really hard on the boot-up. I had to do that every time I turned it on until I got a new computer.

I'm not sure what causes it, but vacuuming the computer out helped sometimes as well. There's alot of dust in them.
  5. You ARE kidding right? Vacuum is BAD, and don't smack it at boot up! Even if this is a joke, don't play it on people who don't know much about computers. :ninja:
  6. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'd guess its your power supply. All kinds of weird stuff happens when they go bad. And its a cheap fix...
  7. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    Check the fans. Both Power supply and processor. Either not running it won't or shouldn't start until cool.

Also I would be backing up anything valuable on the drive. It could also be early signs of a failing Hard Drive.

Power Supply is the first thing to check
    Processor Fan second
    They aren't having problems go into the bios and see if it can auto detect the Hard Drive. If it doesn't then make sure you get things backed up completely.

If is sees the HD right then I would start suspecting the RAM.

8. Thanks for the responses so far guys. I wouldn't be inclined to beat the crap out of my computer, although sometimes that works for tv's...

Odie, I am not entirely sure what motherboard I have. I believe the brand is Gigabyte, but I'm not sure exactly what model. If it is important I could dig through a bunch of paper work and find the invoice from the shop that put my comp together.

So a faulty power supply seems like the most likely answer, but what exactly should I be looking for to test it? The only work I have done on my computer's hardware was to install a new CDRW drive.
  9. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    It certainly could be the power supply, but it could be several other things as well. If this is something that you can do,,, opening up the case and using canned air to remove dust can't hurt (dust accumulation can actually conduct electricity). Also, make sure all cards, memory, and CPU are properly seated. There is something called "chip creep" that occurs after time; the hot-then-cool conditions in a computer can cause seated components to lift out of their sockets.

In the meantime, I would suggest that you backup everything.

10. Maybe go to a computer shop? There is something scary about computer dummies (sorry to say it, but it might be the truth) starting to fix things...

If the PSU fails, putting in a new one would help (this is something they can test at a shop), but don't go out and buy one if you are not sure.

If you know something about computerhardware, open up the case and see if the fans are working. Then disconnect everything you don't need from the PSU (CD-drives, floppy's,...) and see if it boots right away. If it does, chances are your PSU can't give the power the pc needs anymore.

Any further details on system would be helpful (esp. PSU related).