1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Computer Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mazatleco17, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    I installed a video card on my old computer (inspiron 530) but the computer crashes right before windows starts, safe mode works fine, uninstalled the driver and voila, windows runs fine but it only shows a "standard VGA graphics card" on device manager. Running windows vista home premium.

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    D'oh! ;)

First make sure that the chipset on your motherboard can accept the one on the video card. Some of them don't play well together. Safe Mode works because it utilizes a generic driver, BTW. Then make sure you have the most current driver for the video card. The one that came with it may not be. Finally, get off of VISTA and on to Windows 7. :D

3. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    :D Point taken, I was actually using the most current driver.

4. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Make sure you have the right x86 or x64 driver to match Vista (32-bit or 64-bit).

What video card? Where did you get the driver? Inspiron's BIOS up to date?

5. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

Mar 27, 2008
    Yes, I'm using the correct 32bit vista driver. Video card is a Geforce 8400 GS, bios hasn't been updated.

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    Are you using the videocard's driver or nVidia's driver?

Some videocard companies use the reference design as a guide but make some changes. The standard nVidia driver should work fine, but since it doesn't in this case, I'd urge you to download the very 1st version of the driver made for your specific card by your card's manufacturer. Test it out and report back.

Of course, uninstall whichever other video drivers you currently have installed prior to installing any other ones.