Computer Issues

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Da_Niet, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    Hi all,

I've had this weird thing with my pc for some time now. Almost everytime I get online, it takes minutes before the homepage(AT&T) comes up. I have dial-up(yeah, I know). So, oftentimes, I try the Cont.+Alt+Del thing to bring up the Windows Task Manager. When I do that, the homepage also comes up. So, I close the Task Manager, and then things work from there. The thing is, it's annoying as hell.

Here's the weirdest part, yet: just before the homepage comes up, a small window appears and it reads:

I then have to manually close it. After, and only after I close this last window, does the homepage come up. Anybody know what this is?
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Are you on windows XP? Who's your IP?

I'd guess that it has something to do with spyware but if you had to install some kind of software provided by your IP then it could have something to do with that. Have you run something like adaware or spybot lately? Try that first.

brad cook
  3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I'm thinking his ISP is AT&T Worldnet since that's AT&T's dialup offering.
  4. Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003

That's exactly right. I also have Windows XP Home Edition. Strange thing is, this didn't always happen. At some point in time, this just started happening. I've just waited too long to do anything about it. Now, it's just downright annoying. Something I have in my computer is invoking this command prompt to come up. I just don't know what it is. I have Ad-ware and it didn't affect anything.

5. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Check your startup areas and see what could be loading that isn't required.
  6. Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    will do
  7. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Do this:
    Start -> Run
    type in "msconfig" hit enter
    Click the "startup" tab, and disable everything that's abnormal (if you're unsure, google it).

If that turns up nothing, then get SpyBot Search & Destroy and HiJack This. IF that doesn't help, well, time for someone else to help you :p

8. SP2 is not a fix-all. It has a habit of putting systems down for the count, just as SP1 did.
  9. Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

Dec 8, 2004
    Thats incredibly strange. Try starting your internet up and typing ipconfig into a command prompt and tell us what happens. It almost sounds like some sort of problem with assigning you an IP address.