Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

computer junkies, help me

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    ok. so i got my new laptop today. i manage to transfer all my music and pics over to it, but i can't get the internet working.

i plugged it into the cable modem, then ran the internet connection wizard like it said to. and nothing.

so. i don't know.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    The lack of info is astounding. :p no offense! But, what happens when you run that wizard? I'm assuming it tells you to restart? What happens when you first plug in the CAT-5? Does it recognize that it has been plugged in? Also, are you sure the cable is good? Have you tried running that cable to another computer just to verify that it's fine?
    I'm not a whole lot of help when it comes to these kinds of things, but I'll do what I can. Feel free to IM me.

-Ray

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Check your tcp/ip properties and make sure it is set to obtain an ip address automatically.

4. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    Check device manager and make sure your ethernet adapter is installed and that there are no conflicts within the device.

Are you going directly to the cable modem or through a router first? I'm assuming you're running XP which shouldn't have a problem resolving an IP through the modem if you run the wizzard.

5. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    just re-ran the wizard. everything went fine.

i clicked the status of the connection, it said it needed to be repaired. i clicked repair but it said "Windows could not fiinish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address"

6. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I assume this cable modem was connected to a different PC before. Some cable modems get "attached" to the MAC address of the device they usually communicate with (such as the Ethernet card in your old PC), and they won't work with any other (such as your new laptop).

In most cases, removing power from the cable modem for 2-3 hours will make it "forget", and it'll then be willing to talk to a new, different device.

EDIT: Here's a link that explains it better than I can..... second paragraph of the "Answer" section.....

http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/webmaster/article.php/3320171

7. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    hey bbd, thanks.

i unplugged everything, turned off the laptop. plugged the modem on. and then turn the laptop on.

this is my first post from my new laptop.

to everyone else. thanks. the suggestions you gave hadn't been done yet so i did them too.