1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Computer Keyboards: What's With the Layout?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassGod, Apr 20, 2006.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I've never understood why keyboards are laid out the way they are. Why not in alphabetical order? Who came up with this madness?

Graeme

2. The lay out is called "QWERTY" because thats the top row of letters. The old typewriter manufacturers made the keyboard as confusing as possible to slow down typist who where getting the hammers tangled.

3. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    keyboard like that are called "qwerty"

Cheers

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's more efficient.

Do you have a problem getting around a keyboard or something? Back in the day I did, but after years, I type as fast as I think, faster than I write, and don't even need to be looking.

At a given moment, I'm usually watching South Park and writing a paper, usually without any typo's.

5. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    No. Actually, like you, I don't even look when I type. Today for some reason I looked down and realized how weird the order of letters was.

But thanks for the answers, that's pretty cool.

Graeme

6. Apparently DVORAK is quicker to type once you master it. I've never tried it myself. The weirdest thing I do is use a US keyboard (in the UK)...it makes it quicker to type my email because it has a 2 right before the @ and they're on the same key! (Nah, I didn't do that on purpose, it was a happy side-effect of my hurried purchase of a keyboard when mine broke during writing my final uni project)

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    From what I've heard it's designed to be less efficient for the reason mentioned above.

bc

8. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Yeah they'd jam.

My friends.. The ultimate source of information.. Howstuffworks.com
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question458.htm

9. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Me too. Unfortunately I think about 10 words per minute. :D

10. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    My German keyboard is qwertz, but I can adjust to qwerty ones fairly quickly. The trickier part is memorizing where the colons, commas and apostrophes are. Why French keyboards are azerty kind of baffles me, back in the days, I used to play Counterstrike (the annoying online first person shooter game) with a bunch of online friends. Unfortunately, the game only supported the US keyboard layout, so you could usually spot French gamers by their inability to type even the simplest words. :D

I took a Korean class a while ago and to type Korean in Windows you have to memorize the Korean keyboard layout, which is a pain in the neck. It usually takes me five minutes or so to type a simple sentence.

11. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    The Dvoak keyboards have all the vowels under the fingers of one hand, and the five most common consonants in english language under the fingers of the other hand. something like 50% of the most commonly used words can be typed without even lifting your fingers. People who learn it absolutely fly.

But i don't know anyone who uses one. the idea was pretty much a flop, because we're such creatures of habit.

12. French keyboards are all but impossible to type english on. I tried to use a french laptop to find a map on google, but ended up complete unable to get past the quirks.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I want this one.

Attached Files:

14. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Yup.

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Yeah, i'm also one of the people who can type right about as fast as they can think. I've also grown up with computers around me for nearly my entire life. I can type a paper faster than i can write one by hand. Dig that eh?

As for the layout, i never questioned it-i figured, there was some sort of reasoning for it that i just never knew/understood.

16. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    ... old wives tale (actually it was Steve Jobs many years ago who started this rumor). DVORAK has no distinct advantage over QWERTY according to a great set of studies and historical review by Don Norman

17. QWERTY is quirky.
    -Alex