Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Computer Line-In

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Like a big dog, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Like a big dog

Like a big dog

Jun 18, 2001
    Texas, USA
    I was just wondering how much quality is lost from dropping the size of the input from 1/4" to 1/8". I am planning on recording straight from my amp and I was going to invest in a Soundblaster Live Drive for my Live soundcard so that I would have a front 1/4" input to record to. I hadn't decided on the software yet because I knew the software would be worthless without a good connection.

I want to record using the XLR port on my SWR workingman 15. So I guess the main question is, does it matter that I go from the XLR port to a 1/4" adapter to a 1/8" line in? Or should I invest the $50 in a Live Drive with a 1/4" line in?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The plug size doesn't really matter for the signal levels that occur here.

The SBLive will degrade the sound more than any plug. The Livedrive isn't that good either.

I recommend saving those 50$ so you can buy a M-Audio/Midiman Delta Audiophile 2496 or a similar card later (and I don't mean Audigy (2)!!).

3. Like a big dog

Like a big dog

Jun 18, 2001
    Texas, USA
    Thanks for the advice.

I would prefer to have something external or in the front of my machine, rather than having to plug things into the back. Do you have any similar recommendations for that?

4. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina