Computer/Norton problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by heroincredible, Oct 25, 2005.

1. This is for all you computer tech's/people who know. About an hour ago Norton Internet Security gives me this alert about a low risk program trying to connect to the internet, and it suggested to always block it. So I did. Now whenever Norton internet security is enabled, I am connected to the internet, but no programs work, i.e. any messengers, firefox, IE, nothing at all. It only works when I disable Norton internet security. So my question is, how do you fix this? Is there a way of changing the programs that you allow/block from those alerts? Cuz I looked everywhere and there is no option of changing the settings for blocked programs at all. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    First mistake, Norton sucks.

Sygate personal firewall is better for firewall. AVG or Avast anti-virus is great for that.
  3. Yea, well I didnt have a choice. Next time though...
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would seriously disable Norton, then immediately get this list of programs up and running:

Spybot Search and Destroy
    Lavasoft Adaware
    AVG Antivirus
    Avast Antivirus

Sygate Personal Firewall (or Zone Alarm)
  5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Running two antivirus programs at the same time is not a good idea.
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I do. Not been a problem at all.
  7. I've got a couple of those, Norton has been pissing me off and Ive been meaning to get rid of it, now I have a good reason to. And I shall check out those last couple(I had zone alarm on my last comp and liked it, and Ive got Spybot and Adaware).
  8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    It is a bad practice. It causes conflicts, and can cause problems on your computer. Two antivirus programs running at the same time use the same files when monitoring and searching for virus threats. It unecessarily eats up resourses. Symantec doesn't recommend it, neither does Microsoft.
    I would recommend the AVG, but not the Avast. The Avast is a resource hog. AVG, OTOH, has low system resource use.
  9. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, i have AVG active. I use Avast for random scans just to make sure everything is going well.
  10. Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Yes. Do not run two anti-virus programs at once. That is a bad idea. It's almost as bad as running two firewalls, which I've seen people do--especially after upgrading Windows XP.
  11. You shouldn't wear two condoms either, for the same reason.
  12. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Why, is that a resource hog as well?
  13. I'm not familiar with that Norton product, but I"m sure there's a way inside the program to adjust any of the answered pop ups.

The corporate Symantec stuff is very good imho, but I'm not that impressed with the consumer products.

And yes, don't run 2 anti-virus programs at the same time.
  14. I just got rid of the Norton and installed other products. Everything is better now. Woooo. Gracias for the help.
  15. I'm no pro but Ill try to help.

I have Norton as well, and it is a pain in the butt. I use to get all kinds of pop up warnings, it was to the point were I completely reloaded window in order to fix it. When I was done, I did all the updates, and now the "intrusion detection" no longer works. Norton's way to fix this is to reload it again!! They suck!

But anywho...

Double click on N.I.S. on the bottom right, Click on personal firewall, then click configure. From there a window should pop up, click on the "programs" tab, a list of programs should pop up, just scroll through the list and unblock whatever was blocked by either double clicking on it or click on it then click "modify"

Hope this helps.

ps. I have the 2004 version, 2005 could be different.

16. It helps :) Well, it would've helped a bit more last night before I deleted it and installed other stuff, but now I know for next time. Thanks.
  17. Oh..... sorry man!

you're better off with out them anyway. :D
  18. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Especially if they are ribbed. I have degrees in both subjects.
  19. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Yea, you might overwork your CPU and cause a meltdown.