Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

computer or console?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Discrepancy, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Console (Xbox, PS2, GameCube)

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. PC or Mac

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  3. I cant decide, both are good

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. When you play video games, do you prefer the computer or a console like PS2 or the Xbox? I prefer the computer because you can do more with it, and you can upgrade it when you need to.

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    lately im doing more of handheld (as in GBA) but im definetely a console gamer

mainly because i never had a decent computer but that changed last september and im still getting into PC gaming (although is more of console emulation + Playstation controller)

I own a Dreamcast and PS2, on the pc i have most systems emulated and only play RTS (as in Age of Mythology)

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Since gaming on the mac is in a recovering rut(that is, in the past 2 years it's gotten world's better, but it still has a long way to go to catch up with PCs)

I don't play many games on my mac, just warcraft 3 really.

So, Consoles are generally my choice when it comes to games. I have a GC and a PS2 at home, and use them both frequently.

However, one of my favorite games, is a game called savage, on PC.

but for the most part, consoles for me.

4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    PS2. Currently hooked on "True Crime streets of LA" 400 miles of actual LA streets. Highly recommended!

5. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Consoles!

-Snes: I have 56 games, another arriving this week (terranigma, I finally bagged this game!).

N64 - 15 games, rarely play it.

Gamecube - 6 games, play a fair bit. Just finished Viewtiful Joe

PC is only worth its weight gaming wise for strategy games..Blizzard strategy games (no other company). At the mo I'm still at warcraft 3 the frozen throne (online). I aggree with daves view on Pcs though - it's a pain in the arse having to upgrade all the time (so is having 56k for internet games).

I don't play games all that often though to be honest.

6. I'll have to go with Console here....I own XBox, PS2, GameCube and GBA. Prefer GameCube, always been a Nintendo "Fan Boy." When the games are specifically written for a console, you know they're gonna run "flawlessly" as opposed to a computer, where you get framrate drops, skipping animation, error messages, etc....

7. PC, nothing even comes close...

I tried to play FPS-games on a PS2 but it sucked, Bad.

Well ok, racinggames, leveljumpers and beat'em-up's work well I guess, but I haven't seen one I've liked so far...I just stick to my PC with Max Payne 2, Chaser and No-one Lives Forever 2 :)

8. jedi

jedi

Apr 11, 2003
    north texas
    Console hands down, the games seem to more fun, i.e. party games. PC is to expensive to keep up with, plus getting addicted to MMORPGs is to much of a hazard :)
    -Kyle

9. i know some people who are addicted to Final Fantasy VI. Its all they talk about, they will probably go into a depressed state if the server goes down or there character dies.

10. They're totally different.

Console games usually have a very low learning curve, and you can just pick up and have some fun. As said before, consoles are excellent at partys. Computer games are just impossible to pick up on in a few minutes, and you need alot of computers.

Computer games (i'm talking over the internet) are often very involving. The invention of "the mouse" gives you great control of the games. I'm also a fan of the free expandablity, and large multiplayer games, and better graphics. Also, first person shooters (where it's easy to aim with a mouse) rock.

So computer for me.

11. While I play both (i'm a hardcore counterstrike addict) I prefer the console. Why?

Cause playing xbox on a big screen tv with Dolby 5.1 audio (the only system which allows that) using a controller beats using a 15" moniter and cheap computer speakers anyday.

Plus, I hate having to update my pc every 6 months to stay with the curve.

12. I dont think the consoles are gonna get half life 2 though. But from what i heard, few people will even be able to run it.

13. Xbox will be sportin HL-2, as well as Doom 3 :D

14. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I agree, GTA:Vice City kinda sucks on PC (controller mismatch hell); Jams on the PS2 and is great on the X-box. However, Age of Mythology(PC) is eating all of my extra time...

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I play on PC and gameboy SP :)

16. But what good will HL2 be on a console? It'll be very hard to aim, and the graphics won't be up to par wiht computers with FSAA, high res etc.

Also, the great thing about HL2 will be the plethora of multilayer mods which the consoles will never see... noone cares about a 4 player DM where you can tell where everyone is by glancing at their side of the screen, or the single player game.

17. Console FPSs have come a long way. Most games allow you to tweak your control sensitivity and you can nail it to just as good as any keyboard. Plus, Xbox Live rocks....no glancing at others screens.