Computer people, help me please!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    For my (belated) birthday, a friend of mine gave me a CDRW drive. His dad is a computer guy, they have like 4 computers, networked, all of them upgraded out the wazoo, he's real good with computers.

So we put in the new CDRW drive, under the old CD-ROM. The old one is the master, the new drive as the slave.

When we booted the computer, in BIOS mode, both drives were recognized. When wondows loaded up, neither drives were recognized. Right now, I don't have any CD-ROM drive at all. Neither of the two work.

We made sure the cables were all connected the right way, the red stripe is closest to the power cable, etc., yet windows still does not recognize either of the drives. Both drives open and close when I pust the button; they both have power.

Any help?
  2. hmm, did it even say there was a new piece of hardware detected? if not try loading the drivers from the cdrom that came with the drive (if one came with it that is) otherwise i dunno

*note, im going through some similar BS with my cdrw drive, its being recognized by windows but wont recognize CDs when i put them in :mad:
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I recognize that behaviour, but that was when I tried to install new drivers for my motherboard. After a reboot, Windows asked me for the driver CD. Well, I had no CD drive in Windows. Yay, reformat/reinstall, best way I know to spend an afternoon. :spit:

But that doesn't seem to be related to this.

Try switching the master/slave assignment (you might want the drives to switch places unless you're good at twisting IDE cable). Then try to run the CDRW by itself as master. Then change back to your current setup. Will either way work?

If you're lucky, it's a bad IDE cable or it's just not properly connected. I believe 75% of my computer problems have been cable-related somehow. :meh:

That tip goes for you to, DEFELDUS, check your IDE cable.

If nothing of the above works, I'll just crawl back into my dark corner and let the real geeks rule the show. ;)

EDIT: Just thought of something - the jumper settings on the drives, are they OK? I guess they should be since they're recognized by the BIOS, but anyway.
  4. I agree with Oysterman. When connecting both a CD drive and a CDRW drive, make the CDRW the master and the CD drive as slave.
  5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    As far as I know the CD-ROM should be the master and CD-RW should be slave. Thats how I installed mine and it worked fine.

However you decide to connect them, MAKE SURE the jumper on each drive is in the correct position. The jumper could cause all the problems.

If its not the jumper, disconnect the CD-RW and see if the CD-ROM is recognized. If it is, disconnect the CD-ROM and see if the CD-RW is recgonized. Hopefully this way you can trace down a bad cable, which I have had problems with as well.
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It doesn't matter which is master/slave. Sounds like you knocked a cable loose.
  7. I've had two CD-RW drives. The first one I had was set as slave to the CD-ROM master. It worked, but I frequently had problems. On my second CD-RW, I started to hook it up the same way as the preveious unit when I noticed in the documentation that the CD-RW must be connected as the master and the CD-ROM must be connected as slave. I did just as instructed and have had better success than I ever had before. Now, was this because I now have the unit properly configured, or because I now have a better unit? I don't know for sure, but the first one was a Hewlett Packard (not a slouch name in CD-RW drives) and the second one is a Memorex.
  8. Why have both a CD-ROM and a CDRW?

Anyway try disconnecting one at a time, see if one is broken, or justfool around 'til it starts to work. I've had this happen quite a few times, and I don't know any direct remedy, but just screwing aroud with them seems to help (gets rid of the loose cables, at least)
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, maybe to make on-the-fly copies? :confused:
  10. Seems like if it was a cable issue, BIOS wouldn't even see it. I would check device manager and see if any devices have an exclamation next to them. If so, you could possibly have driver issues. It is also possible to have irq conflicts that may cause this kind of problem, especially with older operating systems.
  11. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

Thanks everyone, the problem is solved now. The guy who gave it to me took my comp, fixed it all up. Uprgaded the OS, fixed the drives, all that good stuff. Thanks anyways guys!