Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

computer problem, can't access secure pages

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SnoMan, Mar 30, 2005.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Hey guys, I'm having a problem...I can't access any secure pages. Does anyone know how to fix this? What makes this problem worse is that I'm not using my my roomates computer and not my own.....

:help:

2. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    :help:

no idea what to do....really don't wanna have to format

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Maybe the internet privacy settings?

4. captainbeardo

captainbeardo

Mar 11, 2005
    My fiance's computer did that about a year ago. Her's ended up being a virus that had corrupted the crypto stuff from windows. She ended up not being able to log into any secure sites through IE. I installed Mozilla and that worked for a while but eventually was hosed as well. I had to re-load her whole machine...

5. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    oh man...that is not what I was wanting to hear...

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It sounds like you are on a machine you don't normally use. Is that correct? If so, check the security settings in IE. You can get to them from the Tools menu, and Internet Options.

-Mike

7. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    No, I've been using this computer for the past few months...mine isn't currenlty hooked up to the net.

Well, I've downloaded Mozilla....hopefully it'll either keep working or at least keep up until I figure out how to fix the IE problem.

8. it is most likely a virus, and probably a new one. At my current company we had the same symptoms at one of our branch offices yesterday - about 20 computers could not access ssl sites. we ran norton and mcafee and no signatures were found, but our IT people found a suspicious exe file and were able to isolate it.

Unfortunately, I do not know what the file was, but I suspect most of the big virus scan companies will have fixes for it within a day or so. check norton or mcafee websites to see if they have any info. yet.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    SDLP.

brad cook

10. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Are you using a pc or a Mac?

11. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Doh! I just read your using IE so your on a pc...try checking your security settings on IE got to Tools/Internet options/security and make sure the "slider" is set to "medium".

12. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Yep, it's on medium

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Have you tried running things like ad aware and spybot, as well as an antivirus program?

14. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    In addition to the above suggestions...

Are you using a pop-up blocker?

If so, disable it temporarily (usually holding the CTRL key down when you click on the link) and see if that helps.

Also, if there is a firewall installed on the PC, temporarily disable that as well.