Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Computer Problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mr.QuakQuak, Feb 24, 2005.

1. I seek the TB member knowledge.

I'm having a problem with opening folders like 'Stuff", My computer, "Music" , Control Panel, etc. I can open programs but not folders and SOME programs. It just quckly 'seems' to open it then everything disappears and just the wallpaper shows, but what I had open like firefox AIM etc, will remain when the screen returns.

I'm clueless. I've done a system restore, which has always worked but not this time. I've done virus scans but mines outdated so... I've also used SpyBot AND Ad-Ware. I'm out of idea's and need help.

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
  3. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Update them all and rescan.

4. I can't use that free online scan because I use FireFox browser and can't open IE.

5. Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

Dec 8, 2004
    IE is messed up. Windows uses IE as its filebrowser. You need to use firefox to download IE from MS website and then use firefox as a filebrowser to reinstall it. Just type c:\ into firefox to get to your hd.

6. umm are you sure about this, im pretty sure windows uses "windows explorer" as its filebrowser

7. Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

Dec 8, 2004
    I am 100% certain. It may look slightly different, but it uses IE to run. Plus, I've deleted important parts of IE before and it causes exactly the problems he is describing, and reinstalling IE was the solution.

8. This is correct. If you open any folder, and in the address bar, type in any website, it'll take you there, and vice-versa. He needs to reinstall IE in order for Windows Explorer to run correctly also.

9. After a while I got Ad-Ware updates, seemed to works fine now. Found 378 files my older version couldnt.

Thanks for all the help.