Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

computer problems

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Discrepancy, Nov 9, 2003.

1. ive been having some problems with my computer, and i need some help. Ive asked a few people about it and they all give me different answers, so im gonna see if anyone here might know, so i can figure out wahts wrong. anyway, when i try to play a game, or sometimes even in the middle of just surfing the web, the computer will completly shut down. I have to un plug the cord from the power supply and wait a few seconds before i can plug it in and try it again. I have a window in the side of my case and i can see that the light on the motherboard is still on after the computer turns off. Please let me know what you think it is. I think it might be my power supply, but im not entirely sure, and i dont wanna have to send the power supply back and wait 2 weeks for nothing.
    Thanks
    Nate
    PS if you need to know the specs on my comp i have an Athlon XP 2 Ghz processor, asus motherboard, radeon 9000 128 bit processor, and 512 RAM (2 256 chips)

2. In my Medal Of Honor clan my leader was having the same issue. What the problem ended up being was his computer was overheating.

3. i was gonna say that was what i suspect. our A+ certification teacher showed us what a cpu did when it overheated and sounds like thats what yours is doing. check the fans and make sure they are all working properly

good luck too!

4. Not only that, but make sure there is good circulation of cool air with them!

5. not only that, but make sure some are sucking air in and not all blowing it out! (trust me, ive seen it before :p)

6. i checked all that, my computer runs at 104 degrees max (i have asus pc probe) I have a good fan circulation, i think. Im gonna try to reorganize my fans, i have a tornado (twice a s powerfl as normal fans) on the side sucking in air and a regular fan on the back as an exaust. Is there a way to make it better? i have another tornado and 2 regular fans to work with.

7. my first guess would also be overheating.

104 degrees? hopefully you're talking about Fahrenheit.. ?

it could also be your GPU or RAM overheating

8. Sounds like something is over heating to me too. If your cooling fans are working properly, there may be a build up of dust around the inner components. Every several months, I take the CPU out to my shop, remove the case cover and blow all the dust out with compressed air. I just did this again last Saturday. You'd be shocked at the amount of dust that accumulates in a short period of time. Ever since I have been cleaning the computer as part of regular maintenance, I've been running with far fewer problems. Also, is your computer actually powering down on its own or is it restarting/rebooting? I once had a computer that frequently restarted on its own. After replacement of the motherboard, the restarting problem never happened again.

9. thanks, ill check the dust too. Its powering down, completly. It sounds like its doing it faster then it would when i shut it down properly. If it is the ram, y do i have to unplug the cord to the power supply to get it to turn on again?

10. The power cord should be unplugged when you are working inside the computer's case. I don't know why you should have to unplug the machine to restart it once you have a clean machine. I guess it could be possible for dusty memory, or other components for that matter, to have a static charge buildup that is discharged during the time it takes to move the computer around during the unplugging and re-plugging.

11. you have to unplug because the motherboard detects something is wrong, and refuses to turn the computer on.

12. heh

i just checked mine and my cpu is at 127 degrees farenheit and it only has one fan and thats on the cpu.

tis ok though, i just ordered new mobo proc ram and fan kit :cool:

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    got your problem solved?

another idea may be your RAM....you have two chips, are they identical? mismatched RAM will cause problems as well.

-Mike

14. i can hardly turn it on. The picture on the monitor was flashing, i checked all the connections and they were all fine. AAAAGGGH Someone told me to reinstall my video drivers, i downloaded the new ones, uninstalled the old ones and when i went to click on the install button it crashed. I give up, im sending it back to the company and telling them to fix it :( If they dont fix it right, im just gonna get my money back. THey keep telling me its the power supply, but i switched it a few times. Thank you for all ur help. I think my ram chips are the same, they are both pc2100 256 chips. Im guessing that everything is wrong with it. Right now I just want my money back so i can get something better, i dont like that store anymore (www.pcprodirect.com). Ive had problems with that thing from the day i got it out of the box. Thanks again to everyone who gave me ideas to what it could be.