computer question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pkr2, Aug 20, 2003.

1. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I've heard that a computer will give better service if it's left on continuosly.

On one hand, it will wear out faster but on the other hand, most things electronic fail when they are turned off or on.

What are your thoughts?

Reasoned opinions only. Please don't respond with "I do" or "I don't". That's why I didn't do a poll. Thanks :)

2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have always heard that as well.

i used to keep my comp on at the office, but now we are on a network and i still don't trust any firewalls
  3. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    What's your current operating system that you are using?

The reason why I ask, Win95, 98, 98SE, and ME and serious memory leaks. They were horrible with memory resources. I had to reboot my machine daily if not more. As a result, I always turned my computer off at the end of the day.

Now I run XP Pro, my computer stays on almost 24/7. I tend to reboot it once a week just for good measure. The only time I turn it off is when I'll be away for any extended period time. I have done this for circa two years now with no problems what so ever.

Computers are designed to be turned off, and they're also designed to be left on. As far as hardware is concerned, any more it's a matter of preference in my opinion.

Hope that answers your question.
  4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Well as stated before, Win2000 and XP handle a lot better to be running for a long periods of time.

But from what I gather, it is better to leave hardware running instead of turning it off and on many times a day. If you only boot it up and shut it down once per day I would recommend having it shut off. But if you are always going to the computer then I would leave it on!
  5. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

I'm using windows98. I hadn't considered that the O.S. might be a consideration.

I definitely get the drift of what you're saying, but the last paragraph is a bit contradictory. "Computers are designed to be turned off, and they're also designed to be left on."

6. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    ;) They're designed to be turned off because they have a power button installed that turns the computer off. They're also designed to be left on, some computers, have covers over the power buttons so they aren't accidentally turned off. I have three servers that I haven't been turned off in over three years. Two NT boxes and one Linux box.

Sorry if I confused you with that.

With Win98, I would, at a minimum, turn off the computer nightly to clear the buffers, and to flush the ram.

Again, just my opinion.

7. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

As well as mine.

I never turn mine off, however I do a restart every night before I go to bed. The restart never actually turns the computer off, it just clears the memory and allows it to run smoother.
  9. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Speaking about XP, I 'flush' mine every few days. Even if it's not as bad as 98 and friends, it tends to slow down a bit after using different programs for couple of days - especially visible with not-so-latest hardware and heavy games, I reboot before powering any of those up.

Hey, perhaps I could add a C64 load screen as boot logo, just like the good old times then.. :D
  10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    I leave the PC on for two days in a row (downloading huge amounts of "stuff" at nights and morning) then there`s a "night off"

never had a problem with this routine, usually i just reboot once i pick up the computer the next day