Computer Recording Help

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by count_funkula, May 10, 2001.

1. I'm going to buy a home recording system for my PC. I want something more than just a scratchpad. I want to be able to create full songs that are high enough quality to pop in my CD player and actually enjoy what I'm hearing. However, I don't want to spen much more than $200. I will need some kind of card, the ability to monitor with some headphones while recording, and software to do the mixing and stuff.

I really sound like a pro, huh?

I need some suggestions. I'm going to Mars tonight to see what I can find but I don't know really what to look for. I will be recording a drum machine, bass, guitar, and maybe vocals.

What are you guys using?
  2. dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dude, $200 will buy you adequate software and that's about it. Plan on spending a lot more than that.

If you want to get your feet wet with multitrack recording and don't want to spend a lot of money, look for an inexpensive tape-based multitrack, or perhaps a Fostex VF-08...

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    dude, check out this card.

Midiman Audiophile 2496

The card lists for 229.95$, but you should find it for less...

The Software bundle:

This software should get you going...

I just bought this card, and it rocks!!!

The drivers are superb, super low latency and great sound.
  4. I definitly plan on checking out that card. Did you have to buy a bunch of converters to get your bass and everything else plugged into those RCA jacks?
  5. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No, I just plug the stereo outputs of my Zoom 9030 into the analog inputs of the card with a stereo 6,3 mm Jack/RCA cable. Those RCA inputs are line inputs.

For more inputs you need a little mixer, if you don't want the hassle of unplugging and replugging each instrument/preamp.
  6. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Here's a card that's about $100 less than the Audiophile (according to the manufacturer's website), but still with great converters (especially for the price). I know, because I own it. ;)

Comes with a special edition of Emagic's MicroLogic (more than decent software). Worth checking out, it's a steal.
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  8. Ok, I went and bought an Audiophile 2496 card today and didn't get a single piece of software with it. I got the drivers, installed the card and now I'm setting here staring at the screen. Did you guys get 2 CDs with yours?
  9. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    After the Musikmesse they shipped it with the 'Maximum Audio Tools'

Included were:

driver CD

Logic Delta CD

Gigasampler LE CD

Maximum Audio Tools CD:

- Sonic Foundry Acid Express

- Sonic Foundry Siren Express

- QDesign MVP Player

- Mixmeister

- Antares Mic Modeler Demo

You should ask your dealer for it.

Or email Midiman (or their distributor) for the CDs. From what I heard from friends their support is very good and fast. Probably helps to register (online) first.
  10. What is Musikmesse? That went right over my head.

I will contact them and get my software. Man, that is fustrating!!

I have another question. I am very confused as to why they used RCA connectors instead of 1/4" connectors. Nothing I own has RCA connectors.

The only preamp I have is my Carvin R600 head. I figured I could get a XLR to 1/4" cable and a 1/4" to RCA converter and plug that into one of the two RCA inputs. When I tried, I did see input on the Mixer Control Panel.

For monitoring I was trying to take a set of headphones with a 1/8" connector, plug it into a 1/8" to 1/4" converter and then plug that into a 1/4" to RCA converter. I got no output through the headphones when I tried that.

This card does not seem to be geared toward guitars at all. Even the example setups in the manual don't show any instruments.

What am I missing? I just want to record my bass and drum machine. Do I have to buy more equipment? Aaarrgggghhhh!

Thanks for your help JMX, I'm sure I'll get this thing going eventually and will be as pleased as you are with yours.
  11. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The Musikmesse (music fair) in Frankfurt, Germany is the biggest music fair worldwide (way bigger than the NAMM shows), and it's open for a week. It's usually around late march/early april.

Those are analog line ins/outs. You connect the outs with your stereo line ins (video, aux, cd, etc. but NOT phono) and the inputs with your preamp or mixer. Use a converter.

Funny, in Germany ALL hifi stereos have RCA ins and outs...

As for settings:

Go to the patchbay/router and select either Monitor Mix or HW in 1/2

Make sure you go to Monitor Mixer then and unmute and adjust levels.

Hope that helps.

There should be some PDFs on the Midiman site with some additional help.