Computer recording?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Jun 5, 2001.

1. I want to record things on my computer. Is there any way I can run a cable from my bass or my amp into the computer and record? My amp has an external speaker jack, and my computer has a line in port. What do I need to do?

Right now, Im using Windows Sound Recorder with my cheap computer microphone and the results...suck.
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    you need to send a line level signal to the line in jack. DON'T plug the peaker out into your pc, especially not the microphone jack.
  3. lmao! DON'T PLUG THE SPEAKER OUT INTO YOUR COMPUTER! hahaha. Unless you wanna buy a new sound card.. don't do that. :D What you wanna do is plug your bass in direct. Use a regular instrument cable from your bass (keep it like you're going to plug it into your amp) and get a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter. Then you can plug that into your computer's mic or line in jack. If you plug it into your line in, you'll have to go to the speaker volume thing in windows and go to the recording volumes, then change the check from mic to line in and adjust the volume.

NOTE: This is what I do. It works for me. It might not work for you. Esp. if you don't really know how to work computers.

Oh yea, I'd suggest getting a good recording program like cool edit pro or cakewalk.
  4. Here's what I did:
    I bought a nifty little program called "Acid Music 2.0" which lets you record infinite tracks of anything you want and comes with a bunch of nice, realistic sounding drum loops as well. I then bought a cheap $5 mic from Best Buy, hooked it up to my computer, put the mic up to the speaker of my amp, and proceeded to write songs and record the guitar and bass parts through this method. You can hear the fruits of my labor at:
  5. Try the "Recording" forum. Or would that be the "Recording Equipment" forum. Well, one of those! :)
    (Oh, the 2 tunes in my signature are both computer recordings).