1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Computer recordings

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Merlin_127, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Merlin_127

Merlin_127

Apr 24, 2004
    Hey guys.

I seem to recall back in the day (windows 98, probably XP as well) that it was possible to unmute the speakers and hear yourself while you were using a mic, or some other device connected to the mic jack.

Anyway, I'm fairly certain that I've done this on XP with my bass before, I just can't recall how I did it. I'm now using vista, and I haven't found much on google about any issues or any solutions to the matter.

Basically what I'm looking to do is plug the bass into the mic jack using the 1/8'' adapter, and then use my headphones for the speakers. I recently sold my small practice amp, and when I left to go back to college I didn't bring my giant amp with me.

Any solutions?

2. Saw your post so went down and tried it.
    I only have Audacity on my laptop right now, running in Vista.

It worked into Audacity, but there is an annoying delay between playing a note and hearing it.

That may be fixable though.

tomorrow I'll experiment a little more with see what and see what can be done with just the windows stuff.

MM