Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Computer Security

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by metallicarules, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Hey, I just ran a virus scan on my computer, and the anti-virus program identified 3 files that were security risk, or "backdoor programs". I attempted to delete them but it said the files could not be deleted because they were in use by windows. I do have a program on my computer called "Zonealarm" which prevents any program from accessing the internet unless I specifically allow it to. Still though, I wonder how I should go about dealing with this files? What potential harm could come from having them?

2. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    How did they get through your antivirus program? Must have already been there. If the antivirus program gave you a name, go to mcafee, or symantec or any other antivirus distributor site and search. They should be able to tell you how to remove them - they may not be viruses at all. Keep your antivirus software updated.

3. backdoor=spywear....go to download.com and search for ad-wear. download that and run it...

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  5. Ok, I tried ad-aware but it didn't remove the files, so I started up windows in safe mode and deleted them manually, thanks for the help guys.

6. I would recomend a hardware device for a firewall.
    I.e. a Linksys.

Others may have had good luck with it but products like Zone Alarm, and Mcafee Firewall keep people like me rolling in cash.

YMMV