1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Computer Sound Card

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by a00nick, Apr 29, 2006.

1. a00nick

a00nick

Dec 28, 2005
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Hey everyone

I have been trying to play various midi files on my computer and it has never worked, i always only get silence. I looked into it and found out my computer has a guilt in sound card that doesnt support midi so i cant hear these things. It will be worth the money to buy one, but I know absolutly nothing about computers or hardware, so I dont even know where to begin looking. I have a Sony Viao Computer, and thats all I know. I have no idea how much sound cards are or how much they actualy affect sound, and im hoping someone here will be able to help me out in finding one that will suit my needs for midi. Thanks

~Nick

2. Your souncard shouldn't stop you. As I recall, Windows comes with a software synthesizer that you should be able to use regardless of whether your sound card can do it in hardware.

EDIT: Yeah, my laptop has no hardware synth either, but if I run Windows on it (yuck), I have the "Microsoft GS Wavetable Software Synth" available. If you open up "Sounds and Audio Devices Properties" in the control panel and look at the "Audio" tab there should be a box at the bottom where you can select your default MIDI device. Try making sure that's set to MS GS Wavetable SW Synth. This is on Windows XP; it may be in a slightly different place if you're using an even older OS. If it's selected but you get no sound, make sure the MIDI volume is up in volume control.

If somehow neither of those things works, you can try a MIDI player like Timidity, which doesn't rely on your system's MIDI capabilities to play. I hesitate to recommend installing a sound card if you've got no expertise with computers. It's not really hard (you just put it in a slot, turn on the computer, and install the drivers), but it may be unpleasant if you haven't done it before.