Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Computer speaker static...?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Hey guys, the Monsoon PM14s that I snagged off ebay arrived in the mail today, and I very eagerly set them up and put away my Harman/Kardon Champagnes.

I love the sound I get from the PM14s, but if I turn the volume up to slightly below "party" level and there's no music or any other sounds, then there is a constant static sound. I'm not too sure what to make of this, and I'm not too worried since at a more comfortable listening volume when I'm just sitting at my computer listening to music or playing games I can't hear the buzzing at all between songs or when I decide to stop any program that emits sound.

Does anyone know what could be wrong, or did I just get a pair of slightly faulty speakers?

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    That's normal.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I believe this is a product of your sound card. I'm guessing you didn't hear that sound on your old speakers but there could be a couple of reasons for that. Sound card is usually the guilty party in this case. If you want a good quality, cheap replacement card then go to www.newegg.com and look into getting a Chaintech 7.1 sound card for less than 30 bucks. It's an incredible value and my brother uses the one I gave him for Christmas on his homemade media computer and runs it through his home surround sound setup...no static.

brad cook

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yup...sound card...I had the same problem with some Monsoon flat panels......they also made a buzzing sound until they made a loud "pop" sound. New sound card solved the problem.

-Mike