Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Computer Techies.... help...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    I have a Seagate external hard drive.

Last night it was sitting in a regular folding chair. The chair got bumped and it fell, less then 2 feet, landing on it's side. Now when I try to access the drive, it says 1 of 2 things, either "Drive E is not accessable" or "The Disk is not formatted".

I am thinking that the actual hard drive might have just moved a little bit inside the casing and isn't connecting fully. I had about 50 GB worth of stuff on there, so I would like to avoid losing it if possible.

Any thoughts?

2. burgerme

burgerme

Mar 3, 2006
    Ouch. You have experienced the downside to external drives.

You could be right... problem is, and i'm not sure about with Seagate, but you might void your warranty if you open it up.

Then again, if it is toast, that might not matter...:crying:

If all else fails, you could try taking it apart and adding it as a slave drive in your main system, and see if you could at least salvage the files...

3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, that's the big problem with external drives, when they go bad, a lot of the disk recovery tools don't work on them (they aren't written to access drives on the FW or USB ports). I've had several external firewire drives go bad (mostly from overheating in poorly designed cases with no active cooling). I've always been able to recover the data using Stellar Phoenix Disk Recovery on the drive, but I've always had to take the drive out and physically connect it to the IDE chain. You will also need another drive connected on the computer with enough space on it to store the recovered files.

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    What type of cable connects the drive to the PC - a USB cable? Is the cable permantently connected to the drive - or can you try a different USB cable (USB cables are standard). The first thing is to always power cycle everything - the PC, the external drive, etc. Then try a different cable if you can. Let me know after this, and I'll show you how to go into the device manager, so we can see what it says - usually not too helpful, but need to know what it thinks the status of the drive is.

Skel

5. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    the cable is fine. i tried it on my friend's hard drive and it worked.

6. Why couldn't you just remember all of that stuff in the first place? What, did God not give you a big enough brain?

:D

Not to bee mean or anything, but why was something delicate like that on a folding chair? Anything remotely part of my computer stays on the computer desk.

Rock on
    Eric

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've actually whacked it again and had one come back to life. Not a good idea though.

8. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i was at my friend'd house. and he asked me to bring it over.

i thought the chair would be alright, then one of my other friends backed up without seeing it and tripped over the cable

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Freeze it? :D

I'm with Bliss on this one. A couple firm taps should line it back up. You can also take it apart. At this point, is the warranty a big deal? You want your data back right?

-Mike

10. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    If you end up doing that, put the device in a ZIPLOC(or similar) bag beforehand.

I'm with the others who suggest opening it and adding the drive to an IDE/SCSI chain first.

Good luck,

DCat

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    yep, might as well try that before the "impact therapy". It has been known to work though.

12. I remember when I had a 5.25" Quantum drive..I called tech support to see if they would send me a new one, and their advice was to whack it with a rubber hammer a few times. Funny thing is, it worked twice. =D

Seriously, if you really want your data back, then tear it apart and use a disk recovery utility.