Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

computer -> tv hookup?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jondog, Dec 30, 2004.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    My cheapo Apex dvd player died the other day. Don't ever buy Apex! I've got a dvd player in my computer (IBM thinkpad R40), does anybody know how I can hook it up to my tv so I can watch movies on a bigger screen?

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    You can only do that if your laptop has a S-video connector (super-video).

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Never mind, I looked at the IBM page and your laptop indeed does have a S-video connector. It is on the left side between the USB and the ethernet jack.

Now you need a cord which allows you to connect the computer to your TV, you also need a cord to connect your audio to the tv.

Then you can go into the Control Panel - Display - Settings - Advanced - Displays and there you should be able to select that the video signal also goes to your tv.

You could though have to lower the resolution of your screen to 800x600 so it properly fits on your tv screen, at least that´s what I had to do with mine IBM T23 laptop. Haven´t tried this with my new T41p yet.

You should be able to go into any electronic store and tell them that you need a cord to connect s-video to your tv etc.

Good luck!

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Ok cool, will it work if my tv doesn't have S-video?

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    You should be able to find an adapter to go S-video out on your laptop to an RCA video plug to plug into the video in on your TV. Don't know for sure, but I would think so.