Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Computers?? about 2 upgrade for recording HELP!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FUZBOT WANAMKER, Jan 26, 2001.

1. Hey all!
    I need some suggestions.I am about to upgrade to a new computer system. I have 3 top priorities:
    1> multitrack recording/ (soundcard recommendations?)
    2> CD burner (which is best?)4x etc...
    3> webpage design

Bare with me im a newbie here at all this world! Please help a brother out!Im looking to spend about 1000.
    HELP!

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, Moved it to misc. THought you'd get more responses that way...

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Soundcards: make sure the manufacturer offers the drivers you need for your OS (e.g. 98,Windows ME or 2k), for Cubase: get a card with ASIO driver support

Burner: Get a Plextor - can't go wrong with those...

You may get more help at places like http://www.cubase.net (forum)

]

[Edited by JMX on 01-28-2001 at 06:55 PM]

4. Definitely match up soundcard to the kind of software you want to use, fortunately you can demo almost anything to be sure it's compatible.

Ditto on the Plexor cdr, as fast as you can afford. Can't help you on burners still working that out for myself, although Cakewalk Pyro is good except it lack a disc detection application so it can be frustrating.

A good bit of advice I got when buying a new machine recently was to spend the money on RAM and hard drive space (music files are big) rather than some fancy ass processor that will swamp your RAM. With the multiple functions of music recording, i wouldn't want to go less the 256meg of RAM. So avoid the hype over P4's and look into the 700-800 AMD processors which are fast enough and a lot cheaper.

Good luck it's fun but confusing.

5. Thanks much!

6. i would find out what products you are going to use for recording and then go to the makers web page and see if they have a support part of the site, that should be helpful.

i.e. if you go to Tascam support site you can find alot of info about what not to do