1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Computers & Smart Phones

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluewine, Jan 2, 2012.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    We have covered this topic before, but I think it's important and very relevant to contemporary band management. And there are new members.

I don't know how my band could get by without either tool.

Does anyone have a band member in a busy working band that doesn't have either and what if any problems does it pose for the band?

I want to use busy working band as the basis for comments and discussion because I don't think it's as much of a concern with the hobby jam bands.

2. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    I don't have a smart phone. I have a cell phone with texting, that's all I really need at this point. And a computer and internet access. That's all I need. This cell phone, computer with internet access, and this ash tray. That's all I need. That and this lamp...

Sorry, I'm being a jerk... :D

3. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    I personally have a smartphone and a laptop, and a tablet I got as a Christmas gift (need to figure out what to do with that...).

I love my smartphone and it's great being able to check my email from anywhere, but it really isn't necessary (and I'm sure you can get cheaper phones that can send email) in terms of music. I use it for a bunch of stuff beyond music so it's more or less necessary for what I do.

This really is a situational thing, though. You're going to get a lot of answers with guys with bands/management/etc. that constantly keep in contact through email. You'll get a bunch of answers in the opposite direction.

Do directly answer your question, I play in a number of working bands and I know a slew of people without smartphones, many people with no text plan, and many people with texting and emailing. They all manage to get a lot of work, one way or the other.

4. mikegug

mikegug

Oct 31, 2011
    Every tour I work with; everyone from the talent to roadies to managers live on these things. It connects them to the next town/venue and it connects to loved ones back home. Connects them to reporters and DJ's for promotional purposes.

I was glad to see one of my favorite bands use the iPhone like my band does to write songs. The guitartist said, "We just put a bunch of iPhones in the room and we all hit record, when we have something. From there, it all takes shape later."

5. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I personally don't know how anyone in a busy working band could be without one or the other of these tools, however, I guess it depends on the nature and protocol of band business.

I have a few friends in other bands where there is always1 band member that has neither and it has caused problems for the band.

I asked have you told them it's a problem?

6. Texting and periodic email/facebook are almost more important than chops...

7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I have a laptop and a free cell phone but the band still talks thru phone calls as much as we email etc. I don't text..useless to me.

8. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Interesting how bands are different, the only time I have spoken with my band mates has been at gigs or rehearsals. Everything else is by email or texting.

9. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    My old band was big on texting. The band im in now We call the band leader but me and the drummer text. We all have facebook though.

10. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    LMAO

You forgot the tv remote :D

11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    It's more than a band we like each other and are friends.

12. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    All good people in this band, they have been together for 7 years. It's like a family. Several spouses are involved with the business part of the band.

Texting and email and texting is still their communication method of choice.

13. ChrisB2

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    One guitarist in my current band doesn't text. He has a plan but doesn't like to do it. Everyone else texts and it's great, but I have to call this one guy. Not a big deal but...

In a previous band, the drummer was living in the 70s... almost impossible to contact. It was a MAOR pain.

I think the most important aspect is that most or all band members are on the same page with communication. Doesn't matter how you do it as long as it works and you're mostly all doing it the same way.

14. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    We're a fairly busy 3 piece band with an average of 1 gig a week right now, sometimes more depending on the week.

We've all got smartphones and computers, a few guys have tablets and other toys as well. Email is our main means of communication, with text messages getting a close 2nd.

15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I think the important thing is having an effective means of communication. It doesnt have to be a smart phone, or a computer, just some way that the person in charge can get ahold of you, and you can respond within a reasonable amount of time. It could be a landline with an answering machine, really. Or a walkie talkie.

16. ChrisB2

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Walkie talkie wouldn't work for me. I live 20-30 miles from my bandmates. Skywriting, now that works.

17. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Smoke Signals / Morse Code :)

18. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    possibly the most awesome post of the year!

i worked with a tech challenged band member fairly recently that had to have someone "make" cd's for him. kind of a pain.

smart phones are just extensions of the computer. i don't see how a business can function w/o one (computer). smart phone less so but they are becoming more essential every day.

19. Greyfin10

Greyfin10

Sep 16, 2008
    Panama City, FL
    Inspired by King Missile are you?

20. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I still have one of these

[​IMG]

But I much prefer my iphone.