Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Con-Funk-Shun" -- Nite Liters

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Jun 2, 2005.

1. I leave my iTunes on random, and the song "Con-Funk-Shun" by the Nite Liters came one. I hadn't heard it in a while. Man, what a killer groove! I think this is one of those songs that got lost in the "funk shuffle" when funk bands were a dime a dozen. Check this tune out.

2. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

I seem to remember a funk band named ConFunkShun back in tha day.....good group...lots of red light basement parties featured groups like that (some of y'all know what I mean :D )

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Ffun...Ffun...Ffun"

4. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    YEAH!! I can hear that brass line in my head now ...ok, now I need to pull out the wax when I get home

5. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    I know exactly what u mean, ConFunkShun was the shiznit back in the days, I can't remember the bassist name but he was one of the reasons I started playing the bass.

6. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think it was Eric Young, but not for sure

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Didn't they have 2 bassist?

8. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think they had one primary one, but switched off

9. What's up with you guys hijacking my thread?!?!?!?! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

10. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    LOL...still talking about ConFunkShun, tho!

11. But I was talking about the Nite Liters, and their song "Con-Funk-Shun"!!!!! :crying:

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Sorry.

I listened to 30 seconds of the NITE LITERS' "Con Funk Shun"...what I heard sounded very cool(like a cross between The Meters & AWB).

13. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Whoops! My bad. Carry on.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Sorry(again). ;)
    I was about to get up(Heaven forbid) & check the personnel on my Secrets album...but why not use the Funk book(by David Thompson) that I keep in this desk?

The section on Con Funk Shun sez-
    "...Projekt Soul changed their name to 'Con Funk Shun', in honor of The Nite-Liters instrumental which was a highlight of their live set,..."

Projekt Soul(Con Funk Shun) can also be seen in the film, Wattstax...as the backing band for The Soul Children. I may have to re-visit that DVD 'cause I totally missed out on that.

BTW, Cedric Martin is Con Funk Shun's bassist; the trombonist, Felton Pilate, is also credited with playing some bass.

15. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sorry Playa...seems like the band ConFunkShun took the name from the Nite-Liters song.

You have my apologies..and now I'm off to find a Nite-Liters album to see what all the noise is about...(new material whooo hooo!)

16. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Great old school funk guys. thanks for the tip.