Conan in Finland

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vorago, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    So, Fins, how big was this really?

I've seen the Finland episode yesterday, so I was wondering...
  2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Crikes, she looks like his mother almost.
  3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, that was in the news. :D
  4. What I love is that he ran an ad for her over there. And she won!! I'm not sure if that's incredibly funny or incredibly sad.:D

Rock on
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    From what I saw in the news that was apparently somewhat controversial to some people.

6. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    After the Conan ads came on, her popularity diminished - in the end she only won the second round of elections by 5% or so.. :meh:

But of course, in reality, the Conan sketches didn't have much effect at all. In Finland, partaking in such comic events like some late night show host coming to Finland to get a warm reception is considered fun, not because anyone would be hyper about some TV guy coming to hang around. Finns have certainly an air of quirkiness around them.. So it's not like there were any traffic jams because of him prancing around the Helsinki downtown :p

It was interesting he got an audience from the President, but of course the political leaders are bit more down-to-earth kind of characters in a small nation like Finland who also want to show that they are not that far from the average citizen, especially Halonen. One of the past presidents, president Kekkonen, was actually famous about his ability to approach the people as "one of them, just in a league of his own."

On the election tour, they had a chain of rock events called TarjaRocks organized at small music clubs, where there were a bunch of different small-to-medium level local bands playing. She usually visited all the events as an audience member, to enjoy a set from one of the bands and to chat with the audience members before leaving for another city - that's just something you don't expect a middle-aged woman about to run a country the six following years to do. So I guess having a cup of tea with O'Brien doesn't surprise me that much - coming from a woman who likes to jam with James Brown on stage et cetera - after all the showtime she got from his show :)
  7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Finns will drink beer sitting outside in any weather.

Don't ask me how I know this.