Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by danqi, Mar 14, 2002.

1. danqi

May 21, 2001
    I have noticed that my biggest holdback in improving my playing is my lack of concentration.
    I am currently working my way through the libster reading course and I have no fundamental problems with that stuff. I am just having a really hard time, because I just can't concentrate for more that a bar or two when reading music. Even when paying just a simple exercise I have to start it from the beginning again and again because after a very short time my mind just starts thinking of something else and I mess it up.
    I have tried hard as hell but then I start thinking about myself having to concentrate and -ups- I lost it again.
    This is really holding me back.
    Does anyone of you have the same problem or any suggestions as to what I could do about it?
    BTW I am motivated to do that reading course, it's not like someone forces me to do it or so.

Thank you very much,
  2. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I've been having a hard time concentrating on my lessons lately. I find I have to get into this "zone" where nothing else exists but me and the bass. It helps if you can't help having distractions. (My dad has the TV downstairs waaaaay too loud constantly and it's always an annoyance....noises outside....whatever...). You just have to phase it out.

Maybe something else is bothering you and you are having a hard time concentrating? Maybe it's even subconsciously. I don't wanna get too psychological here, but I know if I'm having some personal problems or whatever I have a hard time concentrating on anything.

Take a few deep breaths before you begin your practice. Turn off the TV and/or radio. Try to have no disturbance if possible and just focus. Try your best. :)

Be well,
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Luckily, I've never had any problems with concentration. I remember one time when I was practicing -

Um, what you could do, is avoid distractions like Ed said by turning off your phone and -

It's funny cause they said it was going to rain today but it didn't even come close to raini-

Does anyone here watch 24? I love that show. In last week's episode -

Okay, that wasn't helpful, but I couldn't resist. Sorry.
  4. In terms of concentration, I concentrate quite hard when I am practicing and also in the first few songs of a set. I usually fall in the aforementioned "zone" somewhere along the line, and the notes seem to just flow.

I have sorta got to the point that I can have a conversation while playing, but i guess that shows my sometimes lack of concentration.;)
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think you have to have motivation and for me that only comes by applying all this stuff.

I think this is why people say there is no substitute for a teacher. So I know that I am going to be motivated to learn some concept, if I know I am going to show myself up, by not doing it!

So - when I started regular Jazz classes, then each week I made sure I knew the stuff, so that I didn't make a fool of myself in front of the rest of the class! ;)
  6. HHhhmmm...I've never had that problem. Seriously, nothing else exist while I play (maybe that's bad). If I get bugged I'll just keep turning the volume up until they leave me alone. I just play, I don't really think about it though, I read the music, and just that bad?