1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Concentric pot 100k whats the story?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by THIRSTYGUMS, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Hello, can i use two stacked/concentric/dual 100k pots for my duncan spb-3 quarter pounder paired with duncam smb-4a mm pickups as a passive volume and tone?
    what you think?
    Thanks

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sure, if 100K has the range of action you like, no reason why a stacked pot wouldn't work.

3. i hear the 100k pots are "dark" sounding, in your opinion how much of a difference will i mark between this 100k pot and a 250k? in real world terms i mean?
    I want to hook my p pickup to a concentric pot, tone on bottom and volume on top, then i want to attach my MM style pickup to a concentric pot, each coil having individual volume, front on top, rear on bottom. Finally i want a third standard pot for the MM Pickups tone ...
    Phew... im getting confused!
    i sthere any reason this is a bad idea?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm not sure about the sound difference between pot values in this case, but the more passive pots the signal runs through, the more potential there is for signal degradation (e.g. a loss of strength or harmonic content). Personally I wouldn't do a multi-pot arrangement on a passive bass unless it was carefully designed that way like a Villex system.

5. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I tried a 100K pot for tone once and couldn't remove it fast enough. That doesn't mean you won't like it.