Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Concentric pot repair

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kronos, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    On one of my concentric pots (the one for the Vari Mid control) on my Ibanez, the top control (the one that controls the amount of Boost) comes out quite easily. But, when I slide it back in, it works perfectly. Any suggestions on how to get it to stay put without replacing the whole pot?

2. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    You mean the knobs? Spread the prongs with a screwdriver. :-\

3. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Nah...it's not a split shaft. It's concentric. One knob on top, one on the bottom. The actual knob itself is fine. It's the actual knob shaft that goes all the way into the pot that comes out.

4. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Anyone??

5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    If you feel adventurous you could see if the pot comes apart. There may be a set of tabs where the case attaches to the front. But be warned that taking a pot apart is the easy part! getting it back together is another matter. Once you get it apart you might see a way to re-attach the shaft to the wi[er assy. You might not want to lay out the cash but I'd just replace the thing.

6. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Not gonna happen...this pot is one solid piece with a circuit board on the outside. The circuit board has 9 solder points that connect it to the pot itself, plus 7 solder points for the 7 connecting wires. I have a replacement pot, but when I hooked it up according to the original hookup and wiring diagram, it didn't work properly, so I reinstalled the original. I may just have to break down and buy another one.