Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Concentric Pots

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fivestarharbor, Jun 23, 2002.

1. fivestarharbor

fivestarharbor

Jun 6, 2002
    I'm just starting to learn about the electronics involved in building a bass or guitar and was wondering about concentric pots. This is actually a guitar related question, but I would like to apply it to a bass of mine as well.

I have a Fender Standard Tele with Noiseless pickups in it. What I would like to know is this: Is there a way that I can hook the pickups up to concentric pots so I can individually control the tone and volume of each pickup? I think this would apply to the P-Bass that I want to do the same to. If it's possible, how is it done? How hard is it and how much money would it cost to get someone to do it for me if I bought the parts? Thanks alot.

*-Will-*

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I'm not familiar with the wiring in a Strat, but in a P-Bass, there is only one pickup. If you were to install another pickup, say, then using concentric pots to control both would be fairly easy.

A tone control simply has a capacitor (acting as a simple high-pass filter) in series with the pot and the pickup. The wiring job would not be too difficult at all if you've had any experience at all with a soldering iron.

As for how much it would cost, I can't say exactly, but if you had all the parts and had a diagram, a pro could probably do it in ten minutes or less (not counting time for body routing).

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Look into the electronics of a '62 (Fender) Jazz Bass. I believe that is exactly what you want.