1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Concentric/stacked jazz bass knobs + pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cstar, Jul 18, 2012.

1. cstar

cstar

Dec 21, 2011
    So it seems to me that you can ONLY get 500k concentric/stacked pots (meaning, both of the pots that make up the stacked pot have a 500k value).

Does anyone sell decent quality concentric pots of other values?

Pardon any ignorance here, but would the difference in tone between 250 and 500k pots be really significant?

Please feel free to school me on the whole concentric pot thing. It's something I'm really curious about.

2. I could have sworn there were tons of 250k/500k options out there. (250k/250k is obviously uncommon.) Try swapping out the wafers to get the combo you want.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Probably the reason you don't see 250k stacks is because with four of them in the circuit the tone gets too dark. Which was the problem with the stack pots in the first place.

4. cstar

cstar

Dec 21, 2011
    Aw ok, thanks for the help.

I did just find some 250/500k stacked pots.

I have Fender reissue passive jazz pickups right now, wired the standard way, with two volumes and a master tone.

Supposing I changed to two concentric pots, 250/500K type, how would my sound change? I figured I might milk more tones out of this setup, but I would hate to lose the tone I have now because it I like it very much.

Thanks,

Chris

5. Rossington

Rossington

Apr 20, 2012
    Mind if i jump in here for some advice too? I'm thinking of swapping the pots on my jazz bass (V,V,T) to a stacked knob for the neck, pickup selector, stacked knob for the bridge. Good Idea?