1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

concept behind "finger" or "single" bridges.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by prokfrog, Apr 27, 2009.

1. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    I read that these types of bridges allow for better isolation of each single string, which allows for it to ring more true. How would you folks think the overall string to string balance is affected with such a set-up? I would imagine that a one piece traditional bridge, would have better balance because all strings share the same piece of metal.

Thoughts?

2. the single bridge is only more difficult to ground... i see no advantages... some times it is impossible to intonate... i call this type of gimics the "perfect" solutions... the are not perfect in any way... lost of times these single type bridges are arranged like some on thought how they would be if intonate... but then you get some different type of strings and guess what the G or high C string is just to high on 12th fret and the saddle is all the way up front... and you cant do anything a bout it... the solution would be to move the whole thing further in front...
    just too much work and trouble over no big improvements of tone or sustain!!!

3. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    no argument that these are totally cumbersome. my main question, moreso for my education, was the physics of this concept, and how string balance is affected..

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I don't think any human being can hear the difference, and even if they could, there's absolutely no way the audience could hear anything. See my SIG, below.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I agree. I can hear a huge difference between a solid (high mass) bridge and a stamped metal bridge, but I have never heard much of a difference between solid bridges and singles. I WILL say that changing the strings on my BTB 5 with singles is a breeze! (But that doesn't affect the tone and thus has nothing to do with your topic.)

6. changing the strings is easy but setting it up like it should be is a bitch!!!

7. Easier string changes is due to the 'drop-in' design not due to the 'single bridge'. Some 'all-in-one' bridges have this design too.