1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Concept for the Cover of Today's Jazz Book -- Samples and Input wanted

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by PauFerro, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Sample 1A: Musician writing on the wall

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Sample 1B: Musician jumping and writing on the wall

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Sample 2A: Vocalist in Stroke Art

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sample 2B: Trumpet in Stroke Art

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. Sample 3: Guitar Concept

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. Sample 4: Vocalist Photo Concept

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Quick Background -- working on a book of royalty free jazz compositions that can be freely distributed like the Real Book, but legally. This is to grant artists exposure, to open up venues that can't pay licensing fees to live music, to potentially immortalize the music of composers, and to freshen up repertoire.

I have a professional graphic designer working on a concept for the book cover, whose image could be freely distributed without violating any copyright laws.

The artistic concepts are attached. Would appreciate it if you would give your opinion in the poll below about which concept seems to have the most potential, even if not yet perfect. For example, make your choice off the concept of the cover, and then, if you want, in the comments, indicate how you would modify the sample to make it suitable if it's not ready yet.

For example, you might say "I picked Sample 3 but I think the by-line should say 'Great Songs by Great Musicians. I also picked Sample 2 b but I think it should be changed to.....". Or other comments.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  2. I voted Sample 4 as it looks very classy. It seems the most timeless and IMO a classic image with universal appeal.

The concept of a stylised photo (to look like a painting) is very good. You can have similar pics for other future editions. The book title could be printed in colour to be more noticeable.

Samples 2A & 2B were runner up. I like the idea of instruments for an Instrumental Book (tunes written without lyrics). A new edition, Today's Jazz Vocal Book (with lyrics) could follow.

In fact, a dedicated jazz vocal book where the singer could plop the charts in front of the band could work for a future edition.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i like samples 3 and 4. they look good, professional and appealing.

4. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    What about the fact that Sample 4 seems to imply these are vocal tunes? Although vocals do figure in jazz, the majority of it is instrumental -- many bands that I play in do mostly instrumental and then bring on a vocalist for a few tunes. In fact, our bread and butter -- background music gigs -- don't feature vocals at all. Does it seem misleading to have a vocalist on the front cover? Just curious about your thoughts on that.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  5. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i like the one with the bass player

6. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I voted for 2B, trumpet in stroke art. I agree with you that using a vocalist on the cover of a book primarily of instrumental tunes is potentially misleading, and I would avoid using either of the vocalist images on the instrumental book for that reason.

It's not clear to me that the Adobe stock license permits you to use the image if this product is going to be distributed via a license that allows others to redistribute/copy it freely. That's something you might want to take a closer look at.

7. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I voted for 1B which looks like the most fun.

It's also the example which comes closest to, "Today's jazz and not yesterday's jazz" to me. But none of them really say that.

Although I have absolutely zero visual artistic ability and could not do what your designer has done, you asked so I say:
    1A is just off. Do you play in a pork-pie hat? Do you busk on a loading dock?
    2A is generic and as the designer notes having visible text means obscuring the image
    2B is old
    3 looks like a thrift-shop find or something from the Museum of Bad Art. (MOBA rules, and no offense to the artist -- I could not do it.)
    4 is ALL about old

My ignorant opinion is that the loading-dock pick would be more 'today' either without any players, or without any players or instruments

PauFerro likes this.
  8. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I have one other concept I ran into. There was a private discussion about this and someone mentioned black and white printing capability, and the fact that this is supposed to be a grassroots effort. At times people will run these off locally and comb bind them (I will, for promotion at jazz nights and to other musicians) so they don't have to go to a site to download it.

It will be comb bound, with a cardstock cover of some kind. Although this is more basic -- what do you think of this concept? An artist could adapt it so it has a rendition of a band or multiple instruments in this style..NOT just a bass player (as much as I'd love that)!

Alternatively, there could be a differnt cover for each instrument -- one for bass, one for sax, one for Bb instruments (trumpet), one for C instruments (keys, sax, flute, guitar).

What do you think of this concept below?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  9. I'd prefer the bass clef version not have a treble clef sign on the front. Other than that it's perfect.

PS. I added to the inst list above.

List of musical instruments by transposition - Wikipedia

10. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Thanks....appreciate the opinion and research.

The idea was to duplicate the concept, perhaps with a jazz band (like bass, drums, piano) on the front so it's inclusive of all instruments. Or, it could have a different instrument depending on the clef/transposition of the music.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021