Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Concepts for Bass Soloing by Chuck Sher and Marc Johnson

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by ClassicalDB, Sep 24, 2005.

1. ClassicalDB

ClassicalDB Guest

Apr 9, 2005
    Beverly Hills
    Hey everyone,
    Has anyone used this book personally? I have searched the threads but didn't really find the answer I was looking for. It seems like an excellent jazz reference but does it also apply to contemporary soloing? Also, on a note of personal opinion, what do you think of the book in terms of its effectiveness in teaching soloing concepts and its methods of teaching it? Thank you!

2. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    This book blows my mind. It's such an informal, yet powerful collection of ideas. Marc Johnson is incredible.

There are lots of "standard" progressions with straight-forward written exercises. The cool thing, Marc "goes off" after the transcribed ideas and develops them further.

I have certainly not even begun to master many of the "licks" and solos in the book -- but I love listening to the recording from time to time to get inspired about what is possible on the DB.

Only drag, I have the old cassette version -- would love to upgrade to the CD version someday.

3. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    This book is certainly a data dump, there are lots of transcribed licks from Marc and permututations of these licks and then a few explanations about these licks and musical examples containing those licks, and a word or two about how to make better licks.

The CD's are neat.

It's Pretty rhythmically advanced too, and gives you some rhythmic licks to practice as well.

Most of it is well over my head, but I am not really a lick kind of guy.

If you are, you will love this book, because the licks are really cool.

4. ClassicalDB

ClassicalDB Guest

Apr 9, 2005
    Beverly Hills
    sounds great! thanks

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Great book for "rut-busting".

6. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1 on Jason's, Alex's and Marcus' thoughts...

It's totally different in all respects from any other book I own and use - a great change of pace and direction for when I need that.

Most of it is way over my head, but dipping into it here and there and toying with some of the ideas is fun in itself, and seems to be paying off a little on the bandstand.

7. +1 This is a book that lends itself to dipping in and out of and borrowing ideas. It is not so much a book that you start at the begining and work through to the end although there is structure within each section.

8. Rabb

Rabb

Mar 2, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    It sounds like he is practicing and soloing. I have a tough time reading the transcriptions, but for ear training it is worth checking out.

9. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    I got that book in 1995 and used it regularly for about 5 years. It improved my playing immensely. I learned some of the Marc Johnson licks, but mostly I would just solo the piano track and play to it. It was WAY more fun than the Aebersold play alongs. It really helps with intonation also.

10. I love the way it gives you ideas, then bassically says "you take it from here". I definitely do not think it's a book to start with, but for developing your chops, it's a gem.