Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

concepts for walking bass lines

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by MarkW, Nov 27, 2000.

1. MarkW

MarkW

Oct 31, 2000
    Austin,Tx
    Michael- in your opinion what would you consider to be the essential concepts for creating walking basslines? I am attempting to further my studies in this matter and I already have a pretty firm grasp on scales,triads and their inversions and my chord theory is ok but I am having troubles putting these concepts together into devising walking lines. I would be interested in hearing your feedback on this matter.

thanks

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Mark,
    Creating a smooth, mostly linear line that links landmarks in each chord change is the key. A landmark is an important note within each chord. You can get to the chord using scale tones, chord tones or chromatic passing tones.

Conceptually, you should always be thinking ahead. Determine where you are going rather than where you are NOW. Therefore you are always moving toward your target or landmark in the next chord. As soon as you near that next landmark you should be thinking ahead 1, 2 or more chord changes.

Hope this helps

Mike