Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Concepts to slapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by liran, Apr 14, 2002.

1. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    when you are thinking abut playing a little slap riff, what kinda concepts do u use to make that line up?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It depends, sometimes I get the idea for a whole lick, and I try to play what I hear in my head, or I have some fragments, e.g. the rhythm or some notes and I work from that.
    I try not to play open strings, octaves and fives (too much), to avoid those overused e minor licks.
    A good idea to stumble on new licks is to detune one or two strings up or down. When you now play your standard licks, they'll sound different. Sometimes I get some cool stuff that way that I record and try to adapt to standard tuning.
    Try different rhythms too, rhythm is almost more important than the notes with slapping, and you can turn a lick into something totally different. Syncopation makes slap licks more interesting, avoiding the heavy beats makes the line more agile and lighter-sounding, otherwise it can become clumsy or pale-sounding pretty easily.