concerning certain swr cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leper, Jun 21, 2001.

1. leper

Jun 21, 2001
    Right now I own an sm400 and a goliath senior. Im very happy with the over all sound, but need more volume and more low end, however, I need at least as much punch as I have now. I play in a technical metal band, and in our style theres really not a whole lot of breathing room between a good tone and abysmal tone.

My question is if anyone has heard a 'henry the 8x8' or a 'big bertha' (2x15). I want to use a henry for my upper mids/high and a big bertha for the low mids/lows. Any comments about this combinaion are welcome. Also, Ive considered an 8x10, but theyre just too hard to move.

should that combination work, or would i be better suited with something else?
  2. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I don't have personal experience with those cabinets. All I know is that they are expensive. But an alternative you might think about is to have your G, Sr. handle the upper ranges and just get something to handle the lows. Maybe SWR's 1x18, 2x15 or another big cabinet. I use Eden's 2x15, and it's pretty nice - you might evaluate that, too. I posted a review of it here in TalkBass (see Eden D-215XLT under Reviews).

If you reduce the low bass to your 6x10, then I'd think you could really crank a lot of upper bass power into it and get appreciable volume. With a new cabinet handling the deep end, you might have what you're looking for without spending as much.

Another comment: according to an old SWR catalog I have, the SM400 is 250 watts/ch. or 500 watts mono at 4 ohms. If you got a much bigger amp, that could help.

- Mike
  3. MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    I used to own a Henry the 8x8 and it is a great stand-alone cabinet. I got rid of it because it did not have the flexibility of mixing and matching with other cabinets. The sound from the Henry is very tight and has a LOT of lows, much more that the SWR 4x10s.

Another bassist I have worked with had a Big (mutha) Bertha and that sounded pretty good. He used it for reggae and got a large fat sound. I can't comment much more than that about Bertha since I didn't hear it except when pumping a big reggae tone.

4. Henry 8x8 is a perfect match for a SM 400S run mono-bridged...

The SM 400S/500 series runs best at 250 watts a side at 4 ohms stereo.

However two 8x8's, one on each channel, getting
    250 4 ohm watts each... is THE MOST Thunder
    possible from any 500 watt amp. When stacked a tremendous coupling effect occurs. Amazing!
    Try it for kicks if you can.

2 Henrys with an SM 900?
    It's eye bugging, jaw dropping, & deaf defying.

By the way...
    After testing a Big Bertha with my amp, the Henry is louder.
  5. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    i have a henry 8x8 and i think it's great. add a 15 or 18 and it'd be over the line (in a good way).

i agree with mikeyd though - if you already have a goliath sr, i would consider just keeping that and adding a 15/18. the is about the same size as the henry.
  6. An SM900 will blow your SM400/500 away. More volume and more balls.

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY
    don't even bother trying to bi-amp any of the SWR cabinets, as they all sound great full range. IME, two Gol. IIIs and a SM-900 give you a HUGE sound with killer tone.
  8. jbass27

May 4, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    I would try an SM900 and see what you think. Goliath Sr, can put out an enourmous sound, but you may need more power than you have with the 400.
  9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I can tell you from experience that your Goliath Sr. will do pretty much anything an 8x10 cab will do. I know...I own a Sr. and I've played through several 8x10s recently. I can't see any sound advantage that would justify the extra size and weight.