1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Concerning D'Addario Chrome flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bthiemann80, Feb 26, 2008.

1. How is the sustain and tension on these? I'm looking for some flats w/ a bit more sustain than the traditional flats like Fender/Dean Markley with a tension less than the traditional flats. From what I hear, these might fit the bill but I want some feeback from people who have had experience w/ these strings.

2. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Sustain is better than Fenders which are thud city to my ear. Tension is definitely less than Fender flats, but still in the flat ballpark. ie: You'll never confuse them tensionwise for rounds as opposed to something like TI flats which are actually lower tha most rounds (hex core) I use.

Any other specific questions?

3. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    i love my chromes! got em on my sx p, and i am 110% satisfied.

tons of sustain and tension is still greater than roundwounds.

4. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    To me, Chromes are a little brighter than the TI flats however, the TI flats have a nice low tension.

I posted a thread on the two a while back with sound clips if you are interested: Chromes vs. TI Flats w/P-Bass sound clips

5. Jackie Clark

Jackie Clark

Oct 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Jackie endorses Sire guitars,EBS amps and pedals,Dunlop Strings,Evidence Audio cables,and iGiG cases
    Check out the track "Funky Dream" on my page at this address www.myspace.com/jcsgroove I'm using Chromes on my Lakland P-bass(maple fretboard)tell me what you think!

peace,

JC

6. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Very nice! That snare crack sounds amazing too!

7. Aaron Mc

Aaron Mc

Jul 28, 2006
    Avondale, AZ
    I had the medium gauge chromes on my MM Sub and I liked them alot. When it came time to change them I was buying some stuff from Perfect Bass and they did not have the Chromes medium gauge so I went with the Ernie Ball 2804 flats instead. I have had the Ernie Ball flats on for about a month now and I really cannot tell the difference. They look, feel, and sound the same to me, and they cost a bit less than the chromes. Maybe time will tell a difference.

8. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    That bass kicks butt!!

9. chromes sound like what you are looking for. they have a nice tension (and ease up more after being played after a while) and have a nicer upper midrange quality to them which can help with hearing "sustain"

10. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    "No smoking mirrors or camera tricks...just BASS!"

That's supposed to be "smoke & mirrors"
    or maybe I just don't get the joke.

11. GhettoBrassGuy

GhettoBrassGuy Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Simi Valley, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull, Lakland, Aguilar, JH Audio
    I have a set of Sadowsky flats on my JO4 and they seem to fit what you're asking as well. I tried Chromes on my P after having TI's on for a few years and the change was too drastic for me. They were too tight and bright. Maybe I didn't give them a chance to break in, but the Sadowskys seem to fit in right between the two. Perfect for me...

12. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    I think Chromes have a wear in period. I love them on my P Bass,after the first month they really are smooth soul city.

13. emesen

emesen

Jan 3, 2007
    Lake Forest, Ca
    I have a set on my '51 reissue p and I've really gotten to like them. I agree with foal30 they took about a month before they were what I wanted. Tension is great as the strings are through the body. Becareful as you need extra long scale for that type of bridge. I had to shave of some of the silk wrap on the bare end as it went as far as the nut. No big deal and it would probably been fine except it made me feel dumb for not knowing any better. How are those Ernie Balls? Do they have the silk ends? Wanted to put a set of chromes on my other P but wrap on the ball end will not fit through a bad ass II bridge hole. Guess I could cut it off?

14. Jackie Clark

Jackie Clark

Oct 3, 2004
    Memphis
    Jackie endorses Sire guitars,EBS amps and pedals,Dunlop Strings,Evidence Audio cables,and iGiG cases
    You're absolutely right! hahaha! I was just too lazy to go back and change it...guess I will now that my cover has been blown!!! hahahaha! Thanks bro!

Peace,

JC

15. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    To me the Chromes have the sustain of a traditional flat, but are a bit brighter in the high mids especially. That means they come slower on with some more thump than the Sadowskys, which sound like Labellas with your foot to the floor, and they keep that level longer than labellas and Chromes, I think.

That's one of the things, too, that makes Chromes sound so good muted and finger funk style on a P, for example. That big fat grunty burpy thing.

16. jk3

jk3

Jul 25, 2007
    Chicago
    i like chromes, but the G string really seems to accentuate the dead spots, when it comes to sustain.

17. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Sounds great. What are details on your 74J used on Forget Me Nots?

18. D'Addario just came out with a "super soft" size, which is 40-95. Not as low tension as the TI's, but quite a bit lower than the standards. You can get great prices on them and lots more at: http://www.bassguitarstrings.us

19. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Ahh anyone try these yet? Sound cool gotta get some.

20. Yeah, me... like them a lot.