1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Concerns when changing the action of the strings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by alneto, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Hi,

I'm a completely newbie when it comes to changing the bass setup, but I'd like to lower the action of my P-Bass, however I don't know if that affects the octaves or something like that. What should I do right after changing the action to keep the same configuration in the sound itself? :help:

Thanks!

PS: Sorry for my bad English.

2. Basshoofd

Basshoofd

Jan 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    If you don't know what you're doing, I suggest learning about bass setups before you start changing things. There's plenty of info online. Basically:

-Set proper neck relief
    -Change string height
    -Intonate each string

In that order. When you're done, check everything again.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    Slight changes to the saddle height are probably not going to alter the intonation so much as to make the bass unplayable.

If you alter the relief of the neck, the saddle height changes are usually going to be more severe and the likelihood of needing to re-set the intonation becomes greater.

All that said, you really should learn the process of setting up a bass. It's part of it.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Lowering the saddles for better action gives better action not a change to fretted notes note. A small change for the better in many cases, to the sound can result from lower action. But note stays the same for all practical purposes once you retune the string after adjusting action of course. Since lowering saddle means less tension and thus a need for some tweaking of tuning.

5. I guess I'll let a luthier handle this while I watch and learn with him.

Thank you all for the tips.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021