concert basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeyJoJo, Dec 3, 2000.

1. JoeyJoJo

Dec 3, 2000
    i have a westone bass(it is a chinese made guitar)(factory made). it handels well for learning bass, but i was looking for a more suitable concert bass, like a fender jazz bass or something similar. if anyone has any recommendation about these basses or any other basses please contact me. thank you.
  2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    What model is your Westone? The ones made in the 80's...
    were made in Japan and are of excellent quality. I have one and play it all the time.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Fender American Jazz Deluxe is nice. Ditto American Standard. Fender RB5, too.
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Id need to know more info like how much are you willing to spend? 4 or 5 string (assuming your talking a 4 though) active/passive etronics, etc. Before I could recomend anything, but the advice i can give you now, is to go out there and play as many as you can and buy the one that sounds/feels best for you.
  5. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    I bought an MIM (Mexican) Fender J about a year ago, and it was a very sound investment for the cash. I've heard that the quality of the MIM's are somewhat variable (as I've noticed with my tuners and bridge, but those can be easily and fairly cheaply replaced), but I'm pleased with mine. The only problem that isn't a real quick fix is with the MIM pickups, which are identical at the neck and bridge positions where they should be wound differently for a humbucking effect (and also sized slightly differently). The American Fenders are of generally better quality, but they cost a bit more. I say spend that extra cash if you've got it.
  6. Westone... that's one of them "Buttrock" basses! ;)
  7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    What exactly is a "buttrock" bass? If you mean...kicks butt...then you are right!! :D:D
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Deynn, I will defend my MIJ 80's Westone fretless as well.

The PJ pickups are better than a lot of under $1000 basses on the market today, it's got a really cool preamp with an active parametric tone control, I can get anything from deep dub tone to glass(and ear!;)) shattering highs, the neck is straight, has J spacing and good construction overall.

Never knew that there were chinese made Westones, they must not have imported them to the USA.
  9. buttrock... y"know like an Ibanez Iceman. ;) :D
    my definition of buttrock is any form of rock where the musicians are encouraged to wear leather pants without the ass. The guitars are frequently very pointy, and brightly colored. (ex: hot pink B.C. rich mockingbird or neon green splatter paint Kramer bass.)
  10. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Sorry...I STILL have no clue as to what you are talking about. But then...I have never been in the habit of judging a person, according to the instrument they use.
    As for me...I like basses of every shape, size, and even number of strings...:)
    I do draw the line at color though...those hot pink and lime green things...just have to go! :D:D
  11. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I think he means from the Glam Rock Days...Poison, Warrant etc...
  12. I'm not knocking you, Deynn. :) I have been guilty of owning buttrock basses including, Iceman, Jackson and Kramer(red kramer with black splatterpaint). :D
    You must embrace the buttrock-ism and accept it as a badge of honor. Cheesy Machismo rock and pointy basses rule! Quiet Riot, anyone?