Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Concert from last night

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Monte, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Went last night to see the Dave Pietro Quartet from NYC at the UCO Jazz Lab in Edmond, OK. Due to the freezing rain, turnout was pathetic (about 20), but the music was great. The band was: Dave Pietro- Alto sax, David Berkman - piano, John Hebert - bass, and Nasheet Waits - drums. Most of the 2 sets were music from "Standard Wonder", jazz arrangements of Stevie Wonder tunes (most of them pretty obscure). Dave Pietro said he wanted to make a recording with jazz treatments of pop tunes he grew up with, comparing it to Miles Davis' treatment of tunes like "Bye Bye Blackbird" and "Surrey With The Fringe on Top." The overall effect was really groovin', and it was these tunes that stood out more than Pietro's originals.

First, the rhythm section was simply outstanding; like a current version of McCoy Tyner, Elvin Jones, and Jimmy Garrison. I was familiar with Berkman from his great playing on Cecil McBee's "Unspoken" and with Waits from his stint with Antonio Hart, but wasn't familiar with John Hebert on bass. He was incredible at locking in with the group (only played together for 10 days), and his soloing was unreal. He probably got the loudest applause of the night. It was really cool when the band would hit this funk rhythms together and then go right into hard-swinging. You could just tell that Pietro was in love with what was going on behind him, and he just looked over-joyed when watching them all solo.

For the gear-heads out there, John Hebert was playing an unlabeled German bass (More about that later) using Spirocore orchestra for the E, A, and D and a Helicore Hybrid for the G. He was amped using a Realist and playing through the house amp, a Hartke Kickback. As an interesting aside, he is now the 3rd Realist player I've heard get a really good sound out of a Hartke, which I usually hate for doublebass.

The band were all nice guys and hung out for a while between sets and after the gig. If you get a chance to dig them near you, do so.

Thanks to Ed Fuqua who recommended that I get to this, or I might have stayed home. They were all impressed that I knew Sir Fuquafication
    :cool:

Monte

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Yep, Dave, and I talked about that. He said that Jeff recently mentioned releasing it under Dave's name. He sounded like he had some doubts on whether it would ever get out, although that may be just me reading into it. That would truly be a shame.

Monte