Concert tapers! Need Idiots guide!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Tomorrow I see c2b3, and on there site it says audio taping WILL be allowed. I'm considering bringing my dad's minidisc recorder and his stereo mics. If I can't plug it into the soundboard, I could just put the mic to my glasses.

Here's my dilemma. I get w ild at concerts. I mosh, I bounce, I pogo, I go Ape-F'in-kwazy. I would like to tape the show, but I'm having doubts. Any advice?
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    um, hold still.............. :p
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Don't go crazy. Use a shure stero mic, or use a audio technica battery powered condenser, an MB4000C. Amazing mic.
  4. Nomad Jukebox 3>Edirol UA-5 w/ Oade Digimod>stereo pair of mics (for highquality but low cost I reccomend ADK SC-T's)

sure this isn't stuff you could get by tommorrow....but for future taping :)
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    not a help to this.... (for this, stand still and tape or get someone else to)....

I found a link on usenet that I believe is a TBer (if not I do know of the name from the dudepit)

The retailer he links to has some killer case mounted mics that would be great to tape shows.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    your best resource for live concert taping will be deadheads who used to or still do taping of live shows.
  7. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I guess it depends on the venue and the band, but sometimes there are seperate "tapers tickets" for a show - then you can geek out by the soundboard all night :)
    But really, shoot for a soundboard patch it at all possible.
  8. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Does Les' side bands provide the downloadable live shows like Primus does? if so: for $10 dollars, the quality cant be beat.
  9. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Whatever you do, don't do what ReRun did in What's Happening? when they went to the Doobie Brothers concert and he hid the tape recorder in his pants, and all it picked up was the sound of him eating popcorn.

Man, that would suck. :D
  10. But Rerun started dancing and the tape recorder fell out. If I remember right, the Doobies were all very disappointed in Rerun. :scowl:
  11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Good stuff! Ah, memories...
  12. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Been doing it for years. Good luck plugging into the board. A lot of sound guys are picky about other gear that is not theirs connected to the board. Everyone would want to and that's a lot of adapters. FOH sound is NOT the ideal mix to get straight from a board anyway. Ofter the mix is heavy on vocals or guitar and some frequencies are harsh out of the board, and who wants that. You would need a sub mix. You can get a better recording sitting directly in front of the board with you mics about 6 feet in the air, panned left and right from center about 15 to 20 degrees so you get true stereo. That's my 2cents.
  13. Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    I think if you are doing a stereo recording, using FOH from the soundboard is generally going to be unsatisfactory. I use a Sharp MD-MT15 minidisc recorder and either a
    Rode NT-4 stereo mic when I can use a mic stand, or binaural mics (go to when I need to be stealthy or am going to be moving around a lot.