Concert tuning scores needed!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Alexandre, Feb 23, 2001.

1. Alexandre

Apr 14, 2000
    Hi Fellow bassists from USA, I am talking from Rio in the extreme border of Carnival!I want to
    spend my vacation studing for an audition but dont know what will happen to the city tomorrow!
    By the way,I have a little problem that I would like to bring to you in the hope that you can help me to solve.
    The problem is that I have prepared a list of pieces( that I already give to de examination crew)
    and it includes the Dittersdorf concerto- which part I have only in solo tuning- and other pieces that I have in concerto tuning or unnacompained , so I can play normal pitched even if the piece was wrote for solo tuning,
    I just have to tell the judges.I just have concerto tuning strings and do not want to change them.
    So, how can I get the piano score in concert tuning of the Dittersdorf concerto??!!
    Anybody can help me?!

Thank You in advance.

Alexandre Brasil ( yes, thats my last name!)

PS: pardon my English. my spell checker is knocked out
  2. Lemur Music has the Schott Edition of the Dittersdorf with piano accompaniment. Check 'em
  3. Perhaps you don't quite understand the concept, Ed. :)

With solo tuning, sure the bass is tuned a tone higher, but the player plays the piece just the way he/she would normally, only it winds up sounding higher. You still read off the same solo part and do all your fingerings as normal. Of course what you play as an A actually comes out sounding as a B.

Consequently, many solo pieces conceived for solo tuning have the bass in, say D major, while the accompaniment is written in E major. The bass winds up sounding as if it is in E but the player is playing as though he/she is in D (only the bass is tuned higher).

In effect, the bass has become a transposing instrument like a trumpet or a clarinet. For a B flat clarinet, when they play a C it actually sounds as a B flat in concert pitch.

A bass in solo tuning is effectively a bass in D. When one plays a C in solo tuning, it sounds like a D.

It is a huge pain since we need to change our strings to special solo strings that are designed for the higher pitch. Lots of people are starting to transpose the piano/orchestra parts instead so they can play in standard concert tuning.
  4. Alexandre

Apr 14, 2000
    Thank you mr. Reedo. I will check it out!
    But do you know anyway I can get the score in the internet?
    Let me explain. When I realize that I have a problem, my first impulse was transcribe the solo score into the computer whit my finale program, so I will have the concert or solo tuning and could even play with it!
    But this task prove to be to fatiguating, and as I have not the time needed, I turned it out.
    Now I wonder if, in the internet, there is no site were the midi scores of the bass pieces are lying down the moon just waiting us to keep them and take them to the warm shelter of ours CPU's.That is it.
    Anyway I will contact Lemur, see how fast thay can send a chart and the import taxes of my country, which sometimes gets 50% the price of the product- sometime ago books are free of charge, but by now I am not so shure.
    Thank you again,

Alexandre Brasil

PS:Mr. fukua, bassists are people. All rigth! I just don't get the blue-grass thing. what is it?
    A vegetable? A musical stile like samba? Isn't it some kind of drug, is it?
  5. Somebody else posted a link to this site earlier:

It does have MIDI's of the Dittersdorf in D. I haven't tried to see if they will print up in score format very well or not since I actually already have the orchestral tuning piano parts so I don't need to print a copy. I suspect since these were conceived as MIDI files, they might need an awful lot of cleanup to make a readable score. But hopefully I'm wrong. :)

You'll also find MIDI files for many other major solo works at this site.
  6. Alexandre

Apr 14, 2000
    Thanks a lot, mr. Rob! i am so happy!Well, the site you recomend has a lot of stuff and I opened the Dittersdorf. The cake walk file sounds perfect, but in staff view the notes are like drum score!! I will try to open the file in finale ( there must be a way) since the file was made whit this program. Anyway, the site have a lot of links and I think is a very good starting point.
    Thank you again and, if any time you come to Rio and want to meet the wild third world's bass life9 not only the carnival bass drum that is starting to hit my head!), get in contact!
    Alexandre Brasil.
  7. rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Bluegrass - A musical style which arose in the the US in the 40's and 50's, started primarily by a man named Bill Monroe. An outgrowth of american "country music". Typically played by guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, bass and sometimes dobro. Fast tempos, lots of showy soloing, usually horrible nasal harmony singing.

Hope you survive Carnival.