concert with 7 bassists!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by thebug, Jan 31, 2004.

1. WOW! this afternoon I played a song (a Night in Tunesia/The Melody still Lingers On)with 7 bass players and a drummer from my conservatory. My bass teacher wrote the arangement , and it was absolutley awesome! :bassist: The song was divided in 7 layers, I played the Syntesizer and bass part, 2 guys played the solos, somebody else played the vocal melody etc.

I don't know if anyone else ever played with a group of bass players, but with the right arrangement it can be really really cool ! :bassist:
  2. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I once participated in a project called HELL. It was 8 bass players and a drummer, all 8 guys playing the exact same 2 bar riff ad nasuem for 45 minutes then walking off stage, no singer or anything. It was awesome. the crowd started out digging it, but by about the second minute were down right annoyed, we completely drove everybody nuts by the end of it. It was a great way to piss of the headlining band (which this was our sole goal) and it totally drove away the entire crowd, so they were forced to play to an emplty room. No surprise HELL broke up the next day. But if any artist ever pisses us off again, we will reform and see to it that we open for them again one day.
  3. Pete

Jan 3, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I wrote a bunch of tunes (jazz mostly) for 6 bass players and a drummer. All reading material too. I'd like to do it again but I need to find about 4 more people and a venue.

4. BillOnBass

Dec 30, 2003
    Las Vegas NV
    I borrowed a four track once and recorded an experimental tune. I started with a drum machine track then added a bass rythem track of midrange chords played randomly. After learning what I had done I added a bass track with a nice low sound then finished it off with a bass solo with a bright treble sound over the top of the whole thing. After it was completed it sounded like surf music. It was a fun experiment. Wish I could find that tape.
  5. Well I didn't expect it to sound so nice, I mean 7 bassists playing at once, that can't be good, but it really was awesome (if you have some sort of arangement ofcousre). I was really surprised. Bass really is THE instrument to play :bassist:

btw. the people in the audience actually liked it to, and wanted us to play some more :hyper:
  6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    There was once a concert on Mezzo (a French music channel, that, unlike MTV, plays music: it airs operas, classical and jazz concerts), there were 5 or 6 DBs and no drums, it was real cool. It was called "Orchestra of Basses" or something, i dont remember who played in there, but there were some very good and talented players
  7. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    This sounds pretty cool. I don't even KNOW six other bassists though.
  8. There's a group that plays locally called the Wyco Lowriders that is made up of several local bass players. When I talk about several I'm talking 20 to 30. I haven't gone to one yet, but all of these guys just sort of riff off of each other for their set. I know there are some pictures floating around, I'll see what I can come up with.

Oh hey - there just happens to be a thread down below with the pictures - anyway - they all play in bands locally and anyone can go - I might play in it next time, who knows...
  9. yeah the guy who started it is johnny hamil and he's an awesome bass player and teacher. the wyco lowriders consists mostly of his students. sometimes they all can't even fit on stage.