Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Concerto With full orchestra

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Dittersdorf87, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Dittersdorf87

Dittersdorf87

Jan 23, 2005
    Chicago, Il
    Hi I’m wondering if any of you know of any concertos or sonatas with orchestration of the Koussevitzky.
    Thanks

2. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    I'm a bit confused on what it is your asking...sorry.

3. Dittersdorf87

Dittersdorf87

Jan 23, 2005
    Chicago, Il
    Sorry I meant to say with orchestration simmilar to that of the Koussevitzky.

4. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    I am pretty sure the Carmen Fantasy by Proto has similar orchestration to the Kouss. Could be wrong but I am pretty sure it does.

5. Ashley Long

Ashley Long

Jan 3, 2004
    There are not that many with full orchestra, Im pretty sure that the concerto's by welsh composer Gareth Wood have full orchestra, as does the concerto by Peter Maxwell Davies. I believe at least one of the Rabbath concerto's are with full orchestra.

www.maxopus.com

Most concerto orchestrations tend to be for chamber orchestra (solo db, strings, wind, f.horns, tpt and sometimes percussion) due, in part, to the double bass' projection, and also due to the period they were written in. Bottesini's concerto's were written in the 1800's when lower brass and much of the percussion section were not invented. For full orchestra the concerto's tend to be 20th century.