Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by dragonetti11, Oct 25, 2002.

1. dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    What concerto (first movement) do you think is harder, dragonetti or koussevitzky
  2. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    koussevisky, dragonetti is very basic, always revolving around scales and arpegiation. It never touches actual melody except a little in the second movement. Thus, many problems with phrasing and style are eliminated.

In Koussevisky, not only do you have to deal with that badass double stop section, but there is also a style and emotion that has to be conveyed.
  3. Baron von Basso

Baron von Basso

Nov 3, 2002

In Kouss, there is nowhere to hide. With Il Drago, many of the hardest passages are scales and arpeggios that, with practice, lay fairly well on the bass. Kouss has intricate diminished passages and more complicated intervals and some leaps up to notes that can't be found by playing a harmonic. Musically though, Dragonetti could be harder. Many people write it off as cheesy, but I think that there is a lot more hidden in there thatn most people give it credit for. Kouss has many great places for musical expression, but it is harder to make the Dragonetti sound like a piece rather than an etude.
  4. dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    with the double stops, is there any time you have to hold down both strings with notes that are right across from each other? like and A on the G and an E on the D??
    I have trouble holding down both the D and G with my thumb.
  5. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I think its easier if you half-capo the d and g strings, this cuts the double stops down to singles and the rest is a breeze. Harmonics and flageolet tones jump right off the board! Actually, I have no idea what you guys are talking about but its fun making this stuff up!!:) Proceed...