Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Concidering some pedals, Advice pls

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Jun 25, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Right now the funny thing is as much as every one goes on and on about compressors I really can't hear the difference when I use one. But none the less I am still open to getting on currently I running rather close to clipping the pre amp on my rig, so much so I have my basses volume on 1/2 and the pre input vol on 1/2 as well.

I was concidering a compressor to even out my signal so it doesn't make my amp jump into the red, but I also want to keep all my dynamics. But since I was thinking I would probably leave the compressor on all the time at the end of my signal chain I could use that to drop my signal volume before it got to the amp.

The only compressor i'm concidering is the digitech squeeze box could any of you guys recomend recomend any settings so I can actually hear a diffence in playing when using one? BTW I have an Boss lmb-3 so I have been put off by compressors and limiters due to that.

Secondly I have spotted an old or NOS Boss parametric eq pedal I think its a peq-2b or something like that either way its black with the old gold/brass looking writing on it. As far as I know it is brand new, never been sold and is only £50 is it a decent eq pedal or am I just wasting my money.

Thirdly I have also spotted another NOS trace elliot graphic eq pedal box and everything £89. Again is it decent or am I wasting my money. Also I heard these TE EQ's were 18v if so i'm gonna have problems with powering it.

So between the Boss and the TE which is better to use as a slap eq I'm gonna set one of my clean channels on my dirtbox up with a different eq for slap so I cut through more.

Thanks for any input guys

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I was wondering the same thing about the Bass Squeeze.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Years ago, when I first started getting into pedals, I had the same experience, where I could not hear the compressor I was trying out. I thought it was broken. I think part of the problem was that I was expecting a big change. It's not like other fx, it's a subtle thickening and levelling that, with tweaking, you can get to help you out w/ different styles of playing. Slap and pop come much easier to me w/ a comp.

The digitech bass squeeze is a very good compressor. I like mine a lot. You should not have trouble hearing it because it has 2 frequency bands, so if you move the crossover around it's almost like a tone knob. I recommend heavier compression on the lows and less on the highs.

I haven't tried the boss eq, but I LOVE the Trace Elliot. 18v is no problem, just put 2 batteries in it and unplug it when you're done. I think all bass gear should be 18v, headroom is a great thing.