Concise and complete video of jazz piano voicings

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Tom Lane, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

One of the best I've read/seen. Functional piano skills are a game changer for learning to hear harmony, IMO.

Groove Doctor and Jim T like this.
  2. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

Yes. Lots of useful stuff here.
    I've Aired my (Festivus) Grievances below:
    1. My dislike of the term "shell voicing" - just call it "3rds and 7ths" fer' Pete's sake.
    2. I don't think of, or hear, G7b9 13, as a "polychord" - (G7 in the left hand, Emaj triad in the right hand). This is a bit "color by number" for me, and it suggests (incorrectly) that the tonality of "Emaj" is somehow involved.
    3. I'm not at all fond of the term "tensions" to describe the "extensions" 9,11,13. Who started this??? Is this a Berklee Thing? (I think it may have started there?) This is Harmonic Profiling at it most insidious.

Thanks for posting this. I agree that Functional Piano Skills (FPS) are essential for hearing & internalizing Harmony.

vilshofen, lurk and Tom Lane like this.
  3. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

I understand your objections but it's smart that students know all the different terminology and I think I can see how these terms developed. I was pondering last night why a Dominant 7th chord is notated with just the scale degree and the number "7" while a Major 7th chord requires some symbol to designate it as Major. It seems as though it should be the other way around. A Major 7th chord should be "C7", and Minor 7th chord - CMinor7 and a Dominant 7th chord - Cd7 or something similar since music theory starts with the Major scale, but, I'm guessing that historically, most music only used the 7th on the Dominant chord and all the other chords were triads, so...
    Of your objections, the one I think is the most difficult to explain is "tensions" because the 9th, #11, and 13th sound very consonant to me, so they're hardly "tense". Maybe "tension" got confused with "extension"? Or maybe players used to triads tend to think of any added scale degrees as "tense"? Dunno.
    A teacher of mine used to refer to Berklee's "avoid note" as a "void note" and I remember that he also had more than one progression that he referred to as "Coltrane changes". Artists aren't usually scientists, nor editors! ;)

Don Kasper likes this.
  4. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

...and sometimes, they're not even Artists!!
    (rimshot emoji here.)

damonsmith and Tom Lane like this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022