Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

condition of hands

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by steve724, Nov 17, 2004.

1. steve724

steve724 Guest

Jul 25, 2004
    is it a good idea to keep the skin on your hands in good condition or let them be dry and cracked. i ask this because i read a thing about jaco that said when he was young he told his mother he could not wash the dishes because it would make his hands soft and his calluses go away. now i know he was just saying this to get out of doing the dishes, but is there any truth to it. i make sure my hands are clean and dry before i play, but before i go to sleep i use burts bees hand salve to keep my hands in good shape because i rock climb and my hands are pretty rough, do you think this is good or bad? any thoughts are appreciated :confused:

2. i say what u got goin on now is fine as long as it doesnt hurt to play i mean go ahead and have cracked dry bleeding hands be my guest but just keeping some calussses on ur fingers should suffice.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i really don't think having calluses is a big advantage. Keep your hands healthy.