Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Apr 5, 2003.

1. One of my friends just told me that I need to use conditioner in my hair or it will get dry and fall out over time.

Do i really need the stuff? Shampoo seems to do the job. Your thoughts? Do you use conditioner in your hair?
  2. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    I foresee a great many gay jokes up ahead.
  3. Why?

Anyway, "dry & fall out"?!?!?!?!

That'd be news to me. Sure, your hair might not be as nice without conditioner, maybe drier too, but that makes it fall out? I wish I knew that 5 years ago! :rolleyes:

Actually, I do use conditioner, but because I have really long hair (for a guy) and it's quite fine with it.
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    When I had really really long hair, I used it to keep it from getting tangled. Now that I shave the old bean, I've no need. I still wash my suash with shampoo though, just to keep my scalp clean.
  5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I don't think that is true at all... My hair is really, really oily on its own. It has plenty of moisture and body by itself. I use Prell Shampoo, which is like paint thinner for hair. It strips everything, I mean everything, from my hard. All of the oil, dirt, etc. all goes away. My hair is still healthy, soft, and thick as ever. My hair, BTW, is freakishly thick.

I think your friend was pulling your chain, or had his chain pulled himself.
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, I use conditioner occasionally, I have pretty fine hair. I was talking to a hair dresser about it once and she told me that conditioners can add volume, but if you use to much then your hair will get greasy.
  7. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Conditioner on your hair, especially if it is really long like mine, is a good idea. It helps keep the tangles to a minimum and keeps the ends from splitting. Listen to the ads, lots of good hair protection with most any conditioning product.

However, stay away from the high priced designer products. They are not any better thann the cheaper stuff. All the vitmins and protein benefit they claim to have is a load of crap. Hair is dead....period. The only part of hair that is alive is the folicle, thats it. All the things they lay claim to is scientific hooha.

8. thats what 2-in-1s are for :)
  9. coloradok1d

coloradok1d Guest

Mar 10, 2003
    "Shampoo. Conditioner. Shampoo. Conditioner. Shampoo! Conditioner! SHAMPOO! CONDITIONER!"

billy madison
  10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Nice to see you back Dr. Mike. We've missed your expert opinions 'round here. How's Florida treating you? (You did move to Florida right?)
  11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    (Sienfeld voice on) Not that there's anything wrong with that......... (Sienfefld voice off).

I use it to de-tangle my long hair too.
  12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I WANT LONG HAIR DAMNIT! I have tried to many times to mention. It just grows out, it's to darn thick. then when it gets to my ears, it starts CURLING FOR NO DAMN REASON. And if I straiten it (my girl did once when it was a little longer) It just, points. down, very pointy. It sucks.

I mean

13. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    LOL..... it's called the "in-between phase". It's too long to be short, but it's too short to be long. It passes. You've just gotta be patient.
  14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    ARGH! I have been to that point like 8 times in the last 3 years.... and cut it back short again.... ok,,,FROM THIS DAY ON, I SHALL GROW MY HAIR OUT LONG, EVEN IF IT IS A CURLY FRENCH MESS.

And then....

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Conditioner is definitely a 20th century product, so if your hair falls out without using it, then everyone throughout pre-20th century history would be bald! I use it though, as my hair is pretty uncontrollable without it, and those 2-in-1s are just crap-they do neither well.
  16. coloradok1d

coloradok1d Guest

Mar 10, 2003
    is your dad bald? there your answer lies. Not in some silly billy madison seen but the fact that balding is heriditary. But you should use shampoo and conditioner. Shampoo for clean. Conditioner for more managable and soft hair.

I also agree that expensive shampoos do nothing more than cheaper ones but I'm a sucker for those models in the comercials.
  17. Vin Diesel used to use mad conditioner.

Do you understand?

Mike :D
  18. That's understandable.:cool:
  19. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I don't use shampoo or conditioner. I wash 100% of my body, including my hair, with Ivory soap. My hair is usually about 1/8" to 1/2" long.
  20. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    My hair is about 2 and 1/2 feet long, and conditioner rules.

I used to just use shampoo, but since I've started using Pert Plus 2 in 1 (I don't have time for shampoo and conditioner...My hot water only lasts 10 minutes) my hair is definitely a lot less tangled, and softer. Even my girlfriend loves it!

And no more cutting, Polly! It'll stop looking goofy eventually, I swear...Trust me, I looked like a had a mullet for months before mine evened out.